Chapter One

Chana walked to the caves bringing bread and fruit to Naftili, her brother, and Abba. She hoped Isaac would be up there tending his flock and maybe he could take a break for a little while. She hadn't seen him in a few days and was anxious to talk to him.

She and Isaac had grown up together, living in neighboring houses and tending their flocks together. He was her best friend. He helped Naftili study for his Hatem Torah. He was almost like one of the family since his father had passed away. She always assumed that they would be betrothed when they came of age.

As they walked gave them to her.

"Isaac you need to approach Abba. It is time for a Kiddushin (ask Abba for my hand)," Chana said as she smelled the daisies.

"I'm not ready, but soon," Isaac answered.

"Why can't you do it tomorrow? I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Isaac grasped Chana's hands. "And I you, Agapi mou, (my love), but I do not have a home to take you too and my flock is small. I am not ready to have a wife"

"We could still Kiddushin and postpone the Erusin (betrothal) and the Nissu'in (wedding) until you are ready. Please I fear if you don't Abba will make other arrangements."

"I am sure your Abba won't do that, but I will approach him when I come back from tending my flocks tomorrow. Now you need to go home and I to my flock."

Then lazy days of playing and tending the sheep came to an end, when Abba's hand had been crushed by a heavy stone at the construction site where he worked. He could no longer work as a stonecutter and everything had changed. At first she and Imma took in sewing and washing. One of the people they did washing for was Matthew. He had buried his third wife just months ago. Of the three wives, none had borne him children. When he saw Imma and Chana delivering his laundry, he approached Abba and suggested a Erusin

When Chana arrived home from the market she passed Matthew on the street in front of her house. He smiled and nodded as she reached the gate. She cringed. She didn't like Matthew and the attention he paid to Imma and her when they delivered his laundry.

Abba and Imma were sitting at the table when Chana entered. She wondered what was going on, why was Matthew at their house and why were Imma and Abba sitting at the table at midafternoon. They never did that unless something was going on.

"Chana, I am glad you are here. Come sit we need to talk to you," Abba said.

After she put down her basket and sat on the small wooden stool, Imma took her hand. Her voice shook "Abba, what do you want to talk about? Why was Matthew here?"

"You know how Abba can no longer work as a stonecutter?" Imma said.

"Yes."

"I need a way to make money, so we can eat and pay our taxes. Matthew came to me with a proposal," Abba said.

"Matthew offered your Abba a job in his olive groves," Imma said.

"That is good is it not?" Chana said.

"Yes, but that is not all he proposed," Abba said.

Chana squeezed Imma's hand tighter and licked her lips as Abba continued, "He was here for a Kiddushin. He would like to have you as his wife and will let me work at the olive grove if I agree."

Chana released Imma's hand and pushed herself away from the table. "No! You can't. I am supposed to be with Isaac. I can't wed Matthew."

"It has been decided," Abba said.

"We need this Chana. You know how difficult things have been since Abba's injury," Imma said.

Chana ran out of the house and up to the fields where Isaac was watching his flocks. She fell into his arms crying.