Marko

The program of the class reunion has started when Marko arrived at the venue. He approached the registration booth and was greeted by two lady receptionist. One lady asked for his name. "Mark Oliver Franco 4-Charity" he said. The other lady instructed Marko after placing his name tag, to proceed to the function room to the left. Marko nodded and went on. He passed by this corridor lined with mirrors on the side. He could see his reflection there. Marko has aged well. After graduation he pursued his love for animals and became a veterinarian. All those years, he dedicated to his field but while doing so, he never forgot to take care of himself as well. Marko would always think that one day he would meet him again, and maybe this time, he won't have to beg or share attention.

He stopped for a while and stared at his reflection in the mirror. Fixed a few hair strands here and there, knowing that inside that room was Loid. He remembered the first time he saw him. It was at the public market. Marko was with his mom selling aquarium fish that were placed inside a blown up plastic bag. Marko saw how Loid's eyes brighten up as they passed by their stall and drawn by the colorful fishes that were there. Before he could ask what he wanted, Marko looked at his face so innocent and cute, the way Loid's eyes twinkle as they stared at what's in front of him. Then Marko noticed how his face changed from amazement to worry when he realized he was alone and the sea of people started to accumulate. He couldn't forget that moment when Loid started crying and Marko felt he needed to do something, so he went to Loid's side and kept him company. As Loid's parents arrive, calling his name, Marko memorized Loid's name and promised himself that one day he would find him again.

First year high school, Marko found Loid finally. His face hasn't changed but Loid grew up taller than the rest of the batch Marko thought. Marko then was in the second best section, just a room away from Loid. Everyday he would anticipate Loid passing by his room and adored him silently. Summer break came and Marko has to be with his cousin Leo. They would just play basketball and boardgames the whole day. Then one night as Marko was fixing the futon he was about to sleep in, inside Leo's room, Leo asked him to sleep on the bed with him. "Ok" Marko agreed. And they lay there, Marko sharing the blanket with Leo, smelling the bath soap they shared. Marko turned his back on Leo and Leo suddenly hugged him from behind. Marko could feel Leo's body being tensed and slowly could feel his hardness. "Leo?" Marko asked. "Shhh" Leo teased, "we aren't really cousins remember..." Marko just ignored Leo's naughtiness and went to sleep.

The next evening, the two went on the same routine Marko ignored Leo asking him to sleep on his bed again. Marko lay there on his futon, covered himself with his blanket and closed his eyes. A few moments later, he felt Leo lay beside him and embraced him again. Leo's face was planted on his nape and Marko could feel his breathing. "Leo?" Marko asked. "I have a crush" Leo said. Marko was surprised at the topic. Leo described his crush to Marko in detail and enumerating his plans just to be with him. Marko took notice that Leo was describing a boy and asked "Are you gay?" Leo promptly answered, "No, it's just him... I only like Loid." Leo answered. Marko's heart sank and hoped they weren't talking about the same person.

Marko's personality isn't complicated. He was a gracious, polite and a respectful teen. He's thankful for Leo's parents in assisting his mother with his studies, hence he's required to be there, keeping Leo company as he was an only child, whenever it is possible. What Leo told him last night broke his heart. Leo indeed was talking about Loid, the Loid he wanted to get close with. That day Marko decided to not pursue his personal agenda and just support Leo instead. He carried on throughout the summer and gave assistance whenever he can in Leo's home. Then came the start of school where he and Leo will be second year high school.

Marko witnessed how Leo industriously and diligently carried out his plan. Studying everyday, perfected his quizzes and tests, was active in basketball till he was drafted to be a varsity player, all because of Loid. Marko thought long and hard before he gave up on his personal yearning for Loid. But he couldn't disregard the fact too that Loid was good for Leo. He has improved multi folds just to attain and secure a seat on the best section. Marko helped Leo more with his studies, he became his basketball training buddy at home and most of all, the friend and brother he can lean on and talk to.