The Reunion

"So after the video clip, which was about three minutes long, that's when you go up the stage and start you speech, ok Loid?" the batch president instructed Loid as he was having dinner. They were seated at the far left of the function hall with their other batchmates, hearing them update with each other's lives. Loid sad "yes" as he was slowly chewing his food. He overheard someone talked about street food. Loid didn't take importance on that till it was mentioned that night. He suddenly long for that food cart that Marko brought him to when they were young. Then he paused, thinking about Marko, curious about what happened to him. He continued eating his dinner as someone familiar entered the hall. It was Marko.

Outside the hall, along the smoking area, which was a narrow terrace overlooking the parking and the trees surrounding the building, Leo was just leaning on the rounded metal railing as he puffed his cigarette. His body was tensed all night. Fortunately, he was seated near the sliding door towards the smoking area outside. He was one of the first to register that evening. He just finished eating when Loid entered the room. Leo's jaw dropped upon seeing his high school sweetheart. Roughly six feet tall, still as handsome as he remembered and that unmistakable perfume of his that whiffed the air with smells of dew drenched grass, which took him back to their secret place at the back of the school building. Leo hid his face, and excused himself from his table mates and quickly went outside. "Chicken" Leo told himself smiling as he stepped on his cigarette butt. "Leo!" a man tried to get his attention. Leo looked back and saw Marko there. "Marko!" Leo exclaimed and the two hugged each other. Marko teasingly rubbed Leo's tummy, "What's this?" and laughed. Leo just laughed it out too. Marko could see Leo's been taking care of himself lately. Unlike the last time he saw him more than a decade ago.

Marko was done packing his luggage inside his room. He was so happy that he got accepted as the second head veterinarian at the animal hospital he applied to at the capital after many attempts. He went to his mother after loading his luggage in his car, passing by his rusty scooter. Marko embraced his mom and bid goodbye. "Don't forget to drop by your Uncle and Aunt before heading for Manila" his mom said. "I will, no worries Ma" Marko said and he was on his way to Leo's. He arrived there, dignified, proud and gracious. He was well aware that without the help of Leo's parents, he won't achieve anything like what he has now. He hugged Leo's mom and dad, thanking them for everything that they've done for him. He asked for Leo and his dad frowned, looking frustrated. "Why can't Leo be like you?" Leo's dad teased. Marko just smiled it off and went straight to Leo's room.

Marko slowly opened Leo's room. He covered his nose from the smell of cigarettes and stale beer from bottles across the floor, tattered and faded basketball posters on the wall, bed sheets unkempt. "What the hell" Leo thought. He knew Leo was in a phase that time, but he never anticipated something like this. He could hear the shower was on at the bathroom and peeked to check, the twenty nine year old Leo, on the tiled floor, naked, looking like a kid that's been robbed of his toy. The smell of bath soap and beer filled the bathroom. Marko went for the towels and immediately attended Leo. "Marko" the drunk Leo uttered. Marko just ignored, bathed him and carried Leo towards the bed, not minding himself getting wet. Marko sat Leo down and started to wipe him, noticing how out of shape he was, the beer belly, the untrimmed beard and mustache, his unruly hair. "Marko?" Leo asked in a slurry way, "How did you do it?" Marko stopped and stared at Leo, wondering what he was talking about. "I know you love him too Marko... I know..." Leo continued while pointing at him teasingly. He held Marko's face after.

Marko was stunned for a while, hearing those words from Leo. Leo patted his face and said, "Why can't I escape him Marko? Look at me... I'm a mess." And Leo started sulking. "Shhh" Marko simply hushed him. He fully understood Leo. He continued wiping Leo's naked body and got him some fresh clothes and dressed him up. Marko fixed Leo's bed with fresh sheets and laid him there. Marko luckily has a lot of extra time that day before going to Manila, so he removed his shirt, placed it on a hanger, opened the windows of Leo's room and started tidying up. After which, when the room was clean enough and the smell was gone because air was now circulating inside, he took a shower, dressed up again and prepared himself to leave. He checked on Leo again and rubbed his head. "Find the time to move on Leo, It will be better soon" Marko whispered. He stood up, about to leave the room then he heard Leo with a coarse voice "Marko... Thank you." Marko went on and said goodbye to Leo's parents and went straight to Manila. That was the last time he saw Leo, broken. That's why tonight, Marko was delighted to see him cleaning up after himself.