Chapter 7

I was standing next to Kylie's car when I got a text from her.

Kylie: Hi friend, sorry for the short notice but Tim and I are staying behind to work on the project, so I can't drop you off. I'm really sorry, I'll come by your house later. Love you.

I groaned and locked my phone without replying to her. Was I mad at her for standing me up? That hadn't happened in a really long time. I decided to reply with a simple "cool" then I locked my phone and tucked it into my pocket.

I did not have money or let alone the phone to call an Uber and the parking lot was almost clean. How was I supposed to get home then? I sat on one of the benches, trying to think and that's when I felt a tap on my shoulder which caused me to quickly turn my head. It was Janine. She was so adorable with her baby face and blonde hair that was in a messy bun. She was wearing jeans and a black top, with a red and black  check shirt tied around her waist. Her black top was tight on her chest, revealing a cleavage. New look? She was usually one to wear dresses and heels.

"Hi Janine." I smiled at her.

"Hey, want a ride?" She asked.

That was a tough choice. First of all, I would be breaking the best friend code, which would mean I would be betraying Kylie. But also, Janine was still a nice person and I didn't get why I was forced to hate on her because she was Tim's ex girlfriend. That didn't  erase the fact that she was a nice person. Exhibit A- she had just offered me a ride and she knew that Kylie did not like her. Just like her mother, she was such a generous person. I also needed a ride to get home and the same Kylie that I was supposed to not betray, had stood me up for her boyfriend, for the second time that day. The same boyfriend who was the reason that we were hating on Janine.

I sighed heavily and turned her down. She gave me a tight-lipped smile and said, "I hope you have a good reason for turning me down. See you in the halls Elle." She then left and got in her Mercedes and left. Did I also mention that just like Kylie, she was also filthy rich. I guess Tim had a thing for rich girls.

I took out my cellphone to call my mom but my battery had died and I did not have a charger with me. Also, according to her, I did not have a phone with me. I would not want to get caught.

I stood up and walked, I did not know where I was heading but I was still walking. It was starting to get dark and when I checked my watch, it was half past six in the evening. Shockingly, Tim and Kylie had not left the premises yet. I looked up, hoping for a miracle somehow.

My mom's car parked in front of me and I looked up again to thank God for the miracle that just landed right in front of my eyes.

"Thank God."

"I was dead worried about you, where is Kylie?"

"Can we just go home, I'm exhausted." I said and I pulled the seatbelt and buckled it. She didn't say a word, she just drove us home.

When I got inside, the aroma of melted cheese welcomed me and I took a moment to breathe it in. I was so hungry at that moment, I had only eaten an apple in the morning and my stomach was rumbling and making weird noises. My mom heard it and dished up for me. She told me that dad would be working late that night.

We both ate our supper and when I was done clearing my plate, I went to take a shower and right after that, I sprawled on my bed and luckily sleep didn't waste time taking over me. Kylie never came over like she promised.

The next morning, I wasn't even rushing downstairs when Kylie hooted. I just walked slowly and my mom gave me a lunch tin with the leftovers from the previous night in it. What was I? Eight? I took it to avoid arguing with her. I would finish it before I got to school anyway.