Chapter 16 🍕 (Part 2)

I had decided the cafeteria was the best place to execute my plan. It was, after all, where this whole mess had started in. It would be befitting to end it here.

Rebecca didn't disappoint as she entered the cafeteria, Brian and her lackeys in tow. Unlike Rebecca, Brian was still at the bottom of the social ladder. He didn't receive disgusted stares like before, but people now ignored him. He had fallen harder than I expected.

Rebecca spotted me sitting at my usual table with my friends. We had made up after they called to apologize again. I think it was safe to say our friendship was on the way to restoration. Dwayne, the smug bastard, had been grinning like an idiot when he found out.

She made a beeline line towards us while Brian sat back and watched. Jerk. Her steps halted when she was directly in my view, snickers coming from her followers. All eyes were on us as everyone waited with baited breaths to see what would happen. News of the slap I gave to Rebecca was still fresh in their minds as my fading handprint on her face. I felt a bit of satisfaction knowing I did it.

"Hello, Mona." she crooned.

I eyed her for a moment before responding to the same false sweet tone she had used.

"Hey, look, guys. It's Rwanda." Dwayne chirped, popping an apple slice into his mouth.

"I think the Wicked Witch of the West is more fitting. It has a nice ring to it." Jarod smirked.

Red-faced, Rebecca let out an outraged cry, ignoring Jarod's remark.

"It's Rebecca!"

Dwayne actually looked confused. With a face so innocent, it could rival River's, he pouted at me.

"That's what I said."

Not giving her the chance to reply Dwayne and prolong the whole thing, I spat,

"What do you want, Rebecca?"

As if trying to remember her reason for approaching me, she blinked slowly, and then her usual smile wore her face. I never liked her smile right from when we were younger. It was similar to the mother's and, at the same time, very different.

Mother's smile was devious, calculative, giving you a hint of what was to come. She smiled in a way that foretold everything her eyes would hide; a promise of pain or despair. Her smile was the window to her soul.

Rebecca's smile, on the other hand, was what I'd like to call sleazy. It was too broad and too cold to be appealing. It was the kind of smile that oozed maliciousness and bitterness. A smile you immediately knew nothing good was going to come out of it-the sort of smile most children's nightmares wore.

"I was just wondering, did they pity you so much that they suddenly decided to stay with you for today? I mean, it's obvious you groveled at their feet, and they felt sad for you. Poor Mona, all sad and alone. Is that it?"

Mel growled in a warning and was about to reach out to scratch Rebecca's face with her nails when I signaled for Jared to hold her back. He wasn't happy, but he did. Having made sure Mel would not be able to reach Rebecca, I directed my attention to her.

Rebecca's confident smile was now replaced with a nervous one as she watched Mel struggle with Jarod. She noticed me watching her and scowled at me.

"And I thought you were worse. Tell your dog to calm down".

Rebecca's words were like petrol to the rage burning in Mel. Her struggles became stronger. Dwayne had joined, holding her now. Seeing the boys struggle, I placed my hand on her tightly fisted one and squeezed. That took her attention from Rebecca to me. I indicated that she followed my breathing, and she did until she calmed down.