Chapter 2

We step off the Hogwarts train, and the chilly night air suddenly hits me, making me shiver. The robes feel strange as they swish against my legs – I don't often wear dresses, I'm not that kind of girl – but I'll have to get used to it eventually. Then I suddenly stop at the sound of a voice being carried in the night air, and Madison bangs into my back. I'm not fazed, a smile appearing on my face. "Hagrid," I mutter to myself. I've never met him, of course, but it's courtesy of another dream that I know who he is already.

"Who-the-who?" Taylor turns to me, having heard what I said, and I can't help but give her a weird smile before shrugging and following the other first-years, leaving her confused. Then the others finally take notice of a huge man with a bushy beard and frizzy hair holding a lamp high for the youngest children to follow. Kal gapes at him and Madison laughs, holding her hand out and covering his mouth till he can control himself again.

We clamber into boats (Hagrid gets his own) and I very nearly fall into the water in the process. I would've if Taylor didn't grab my hand and pull me in. We're heading towards a large castle-seeming building amongst the fog, yet it's so much more beautiful than anything I could've ever imagined. Even more beautiful than in my dreams.

There are lights that brighten it up, and it doesn't seem as daunting as I'd expected (Madison already told me I was being silly for imagining Dracula's mansion, but I couldn't help it!). If anything, it makes my heart skip a beat in excitement, and I can imagine all the lessons I'll have there, how I'll be staying there for the next 5-7 years. I can't wait to get inside and see how gorgeous the interior is. There are gasps from all around me as we get closer, and I don't blame the others a single bit for it.

It's very soon that we're clambering the many steps up to what Hagrid called the Great Hall, and at the top stands an elderly-looking witch in black and dark green robes. I've already cultured myself, knowing her as Professor McGonagall, the lady that signed the Hogwarts letters. "She looks like she has a no-nonsense attitude," Madison murmurs to me, making me nod before we hurriedly turn our attention to the Professor, not wanting to get on her bad side already.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," the woman bows her head slightly, turning her gaze onto everyone in the young crowd. "Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup."

"Sounds like primary school again to me," I mutter to Maddie, but the end of my sentence is drowned out when a frightened-looking boy suddenly calls out and jumps forward, picking up a small toad. It's only when the woman stares down at him does he back away in fear, and she says that the sorting ceremony will begin momentarily before leaving.

The silence is pierced by a blonde boy speaking up, looking too smug for his own good. "It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." That causes whispering around, and I flinch, worried. If Harry's essentially a celebrity then and there's this reaction then how will they act around me? It might be selfish, but I'm terrified. The blonde boy nods towards the more beefier boys standing behind him. "This is Crabbe and Goyle, and I'm Malfoy... Draco Malfoy."

It's a nice name, I can't help but think. Draco's a constellation, meaning Dragon. I've always been fascinated in the stars. Draco stops in front of Harry just as a redhead near him snickers, grabbing Draco's attention as he sneers at the boy. "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley. Well soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."