Day One

Happy Holidays Everyone! (Re-uploading because I accidentally deleted this story)

Benjamin Daxton

I opened the glass door to Le Coffee while trying to balance my laptop bag and my cell phone which was lodged between my cheek and my shoulder. My mother had called me for the second time this morning and like usual, she had already began lecturing me before my daily dose of coffee. "Benjy, how dare you hang up on your Mother!" She yelled.

"Mom, I said I was sorry. I was getting ready to work." 

"You're always working! You want to know what real work is: trying to get my 23-year old son to come down to California for the holidays. That's what real work is..." She trailed along on the phone, ranting words faster than a running cheetah. I looked at the blonde cashier from yesterday and smiled as I approached her. "Hi, Mr. Daxton? You want the regular?" She asked and I nodded my head.

"...You work so hard at that business firm. You might as well own it. I haven't seen you in almost two years and this is how you repay me..."

"Oh," I covered my phone and whispered to the cashier, "don't go easy on the caffeine. Big day at work today."

She flashed the Ok sign and I thanked her. My mother's voice continued to rant as I made my way over to my favorite spot. The big, leather chair out looking the window. I always sat on this chair when I had free time before work. It was my only source of relaxation before a busy day of business meetings and merchandise sales and all the other miscellaneous stuff like calls from my mother.

"...Are you listening to me Benjy?!" My mother huffed and I sat up a little straighter in my chair, almost forgetting that I was still getting lectured by my mother.

"Benjy, please. If you don't want me to have a heart attack, you will come home now." She begged. She always brought up some sort of death-related guilt trick when she wanted something from me. Before, when she wanted me to fix the Christmas lights outside our house five years ago, she claimed that she would die of frostbite if I didn't put it up right this instance.

And somehow, I always believed her.

"Okay, Mom, okay! You win. I'll try to catch a plane tomorrow night."

"Yay Benjy! You better promise right now!" She demanded. I could almost picture her back home. She was probably wearing the cashmere sweater Dad had bought her years ago, sipping coffee on the kitchen stool. Annie, my sister, was probably getting dropped off to Elms High School (and my alma mater) by my dad who went to work after as a daytime nurse.

My mom was a stay-at-home mom so what more can she do that to spend her time bugging her son at New York every day.

"I promise, Mom." I said one last time, "Okay, I have to go. I Love you."

"Benjy, wait!" My mom stopped me. There was always something else that mothers had to say before leaving. That's why phone calls with my mom usually lasted way longer than it should normally last. "Can you bring those delicious cronuts from that famous New York store down here? You know how your father likes those."

"Okay."

"And, don't forget to buy your ticket at Expedia. They are cheaper there."

"Okay."

"And please don't bring any work-related stuff, Benjy. You haven't called a day off since you started working in that firm. I'm sure they'll be glad to reward you with vacation."

"Okay Mom."

"Oh and I just heard from our next-door neighbor." She started. She always had to add a bit of gossip in our phone call somehow. "That Erin Lou ... you remember that pretty, Korean girl from next door?"

Erin Lou? How could I ever forget about her? The girl with the straight bangs, glasses the size of moons, and the one who always used to draw out in the front lawn with her hair tied up in a messy braids. She also used to wear these strange old lady dresses that came down to her knees and bright, red lipstick everyday .

I hadn't heard her name in so long, I was beginning to forget about her - about how much we used to bicker all the time back home.

"Yes Mom, I remember." I said, drowning the last of my coffee. This cafe served the best coffee in the world. I had to always had to come early to avoid the crowd, especially since it was a tourist destination.

"She's finally coming down from art school, Benjy. You haven't seen each other in years."

"Wow, that's great ..." I replied, pushing myself out the door. There was already a crowd of people forming inside and I sighed pleasantly as I left. Successfully avoided the crowd all month long - what great luck I was having this holiday season.

"Come on, Benjy. You used to have a huge crush on her."

"What!" My mother was unbelievable sometimes. "I never had a crush on Erin Lou." I reassured her. 

"Sure son, whatever you-"

"Okay, Mom! See you soon. I Love you!" I immediately hang up. What was with her? Trying to be all cupid-like with Erin Lou and me? I hadn't seen that girl in ages and she actually thought that I had a huge crush on her back in high school?

That's just insane. My mother is just insane.