Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Present

Sarah's POV:

I've always somehow been drawn to 'bad' or 'cocky' guys. It's not intentional. I usually only see their true colors much later in the relationship. I feel like Landon is who he says he is. There's no buttering up the picture. I've found a good one this time.

That's why, when Landon calls me beautiful, butterflies erupt in my stomach and I feel my cheeks turning pink. Unable to speak, I merely smile at him, at a complete loss for words.

As if realizing what he just said, he clears his throat and checks his watch. "My sister should be home soon."

I take the hint and stand up. "No problem. I should be on my way."

"You sure?" He asks, standing up with me, blocking access to the front door. "I'd like for you to stay and meet Emma."

Shocked, I furrow my eyebrows, puzzled. "You're being for real?" I'm aware that his sister is his whole world just by the way he speaks about her. It's obvious that he's very protective of her and doesn't just introduce her to anyone. "I mean, I'd love to, but are you sure?"

The thought of meeting the person closest to him is real intimidating. I'm scared I don't meet her expectations. It's clear that if she doesn't like me or approve of me, that's it. The way to her brother's heart is through her.

He nods and he moves away from the door. "Why would I not be sure? I wouldn't ask if I wasn't sure," he clarifies sternly.

I'm glad it's not just me feeling the chemistry between us. I don't know exactly what it is but I've come to value his presence in my life a little too much.

"Hello, family!" A loud voice bellows, echoing around the small house before the front door slams open. In walks Dean with a big grin on his face. He glances between Landon and me. "Sorry, am I interrupting something?" He asks mischievously, almost knowingly, before sending a playful wink my way.

It's only then that I actually notice how close Landon and I are standing to each other.

Landon hits Dean upside the head, not caring enough to step away from me. "I could've sworn I kicked you out the house today."

Dean puts up a pretense of confusion. "Really? That doesn't sound like you." I'd beg to differ. "You're much too sweet to do that to me," he adds, pinching Landon's cheek, deliberately annoying him.

"You make it so difficult for me not to kill you," Landon says with a sigh, moodily shoving Dean away from him.

I bite back a smile as I watch the interaction between the two. I love their genuine and true friendship. It's rare and it's kind of awesome how close they are to each other despite being polar opposites.

Dean glances over his shoulder at me, looking very innocent. "He's so mean to me."

Landon scoffs. "Don't try that on Sarah. She's way too smart to buy into that."

"Buy into what?" An unfamiliar voice asks aloud.

I spin around to see a girl standing in the doorway with a hand on her hip. She's taller than me with long, red tresses draping over a leather jacket. Her make-up is dark, defining her beautiful, green eyes – Landon's eyes. Like her brother, her expression is hard, as if she's been through hell and back.

My heart immediately goes out to the red-haired princess. She's probably only a few years younger than me but I picture her as the child that she was when her mother abandoned her.