Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Present

Sarah's POV:

Dean opens the passenger door of his car for me. "M'lady," he offers, gesturing for me to get in before taking a bow.

I send him a grateful smile before coughing again. I feel something drop on my shoulders and look up to see that Dean has shrugged off his jacket and placed it over me.

"Thank you, Dean," I say quietly, feeling the slightest bit warmer. The only reason I know his name is because his friend was yelling his name.

I climb into the car and close my door while Ryan takes the backseat. As Dean reverses away from the garage, I catch his friend's eye. I send him an appreciative smile which he blatantly ignores.

I give Dean directions to where I live and he puts on the A/C for me. Warm air slowly fills the car. Still, I'm freezing. I just want to go home and have a hot bath and then climb into bed and forget this day ever happened.

"So, Sarah, what do you do for a living?" Dean asks, glancing my way in an attempt to make conversation.

"I'm a kindergarten teacher," I answer. "And you?"

"Nice. I love kids," he replies with a grin. "I just help Landon around the garage."

I obviously love children too but they're exhausting.

"Landon...your friend? The guy who helped me?" I ask, finally having a name to put to his face.

He nods. "Yeah. That aggro mutant is my best buddy."

I notice that Dean doesn't even try to initiate conversation with Ryan. I understand why. He and Landon must think Ryan's some terrible human being and the truth is, he's far from being terrible. Ryan's just upset because we broke up.

"He seems...nice," I say awkwardly. It's almost like Landon doesn't display any emotion except anger.

Dean laughs, his laughter as loud as his voice. "He's still learning to thaw his frozen heart."

Dean seems to be the complete opposite of his friend. He's loud and friendly and his friend is quiet and aloof.

I hear Ryan scoff from the back and feel a twinge of guilt for leaving him out. "Ryan's a gamer," I pipe up. "He's brilliant. You should see him--"

"I know what you're doing," Ryan cuts me off. "Just stop."

I sigh and stare out of the window. Ry doesn't believe me but I really am proud of him. I just don't think we're compatible.

"Why are you such a jerk to her?" Dean asks him bluntly, peering at Ryan through the rear-view mirror. "I'm not judging. I just think you're horrible and mean and deserve to be judged harshly."

We all deserve to be judged harshly.

"None of your business," Ry answers, switching on his cell phone in order to shut us and the world out.

Dean shakes his head, unable to identify with Ryan...like most people. Ryan has a good heart but he's misunderstood. He has a serious issue with people. He suffers from anxiety and plays it off by being nasty. Inside, he's afraid.

"So, you looking for a boyfriend?" Dean teases, winking at me. He's trying to break the tense atmosphere by cracking a joke.

Before I can answer, Ryan does:

"How do you know that she doesn't already have one?"

"Well," Dean shrugs, "it certainly can't be you, not after tonight."