Chapter Two

Monday 8/24

I expected that the blaring of my alarm clock would be what woke me up this morning, not an annoying finger continuously poking my back. I groan and roll away from the pokes, but this does little to stop it.

To stop the poking, I knew I would have to wake up. That was the goal of the poking. "I swear Jade if it is before eight AM, I am going to murder you." My eyes creak open and I stretch my arm up to my headboard. I point my eyes to the clock on my newly assembled nightstand. What awaits me causes me to jump out of bed with a war cry. '7:42.' Jade runs out of my room giggling. "Don't think that you can run away!"

A smile graces my lips as I chase her through the new apartment we now call home. When I reach the dining room, I see that Jade had made us breakfast. I stop in my tracks and roll my eyes. "Well at least if you're going to wake me up absurdly early, you made me breakfast first." I stick my nose up with a big grin. On the table in front of me is crispy bacon, a waffle, and a glass of ice water. Across the table from me is the same meal for breakfast. "I'm still upset though. My first class isn't until ten and I wanted to sleep in a bit more before I get ready." Even though I am complaining, I appreciate that she made me breakfast. "Thank you."

I start to cut my waffle up and the smell of the waffles and bacon. "When is your first class?" I asked as I finally started to eat my food. By the way, that food is divine! I am so jealous of her cooking skills. Though I would be happy to eat her food every day for the rest of my life.

She shrugged her shoulders as she ate her food along with me. "My first class is at nine, but I want to leave right after this so I can get around campus to know where everything I need to know is." I nod in understanding. That was a good idea.

I thought for a minute about whether or not I'd be willing to quickly get ready and join her in the self-tour of campus. Groaning to myself, I look at her and smile. "I can probably get ready pretty quick if you're willing to wait for me. That way you don't have to go alone, and I also get to know the lay of the land before my class too." She mulls it over before nodding.

The smile that touches her lips makes her look excited for today. "I'd like that." Her face looked nearly angelic. I know better than to believe in that smile, as I smile back at her. "We have to leave in fifteen minutes though." There it is, the catch. I nod and begin to scarf down my food as quickly as I can.

Within five minutes, I have finished my breakfast and am browsing through my clothes. I debate whether I should dress comfortably in my punk clothes or opt for something more friendly and approachable. This first day can be the difference between having friends and being a loner this year, but at the same time, I want to be myself and make friends who will love me for me.

With this in mind, I decide to simply tone down my clothing choices. I settle on a black leather skirt and black tights with three-inch platform boots and a purple short-sleeved crop top. For make-up, I wear black lipstick, light winged eyeliner, and light purple eyeshadow. My hair is straight with just a quick brush. I smile at my appearance in the mirror and look at the clock, approving my time-management.

I step out of my room with a sense of pride. The style I have built up after many years of experimentation in high school has led me to a point where I can confidently say that I look amazing with my style. Jade's eyes find mine as she waits for me in the common area. Her outfit is simple with blue skinny jeans, a light green v-neck t-shirt, and a pair of blue running shoes. Her blonde hair falling straight, framing her face that had only light make-up. I smile at her and gesture for her to get up.

"You're looking cute as always." Jade rolls her eyes at my flattery before taking a small jab in response. "Well, you're looking particularly edgy today." I clutch my chest in false pain.