Prologue 1

To my mom who said she is proud of me,

To the Roasted Coffee group who always supported me even though they don't read,

To my discord members who always supports my stupid ideas,

To Resel who has been by my side for six years,

To all the people who reads my books,

thank you for helping me come this far <3

✧.•:⁺•✧°:*.✧⁺•.:✧.*•⁺✧

The tune I hummed sounded awfully wrong, but I swayed my head to it anyway, enjoying myself.

I flipped the pan for the last time just to make myself feel better. I wanted to brag - to myself - that I could flip a pancake.

Amazing how far loneliness could take you.

"Y/n, good morning."

The sound of my fathers voice made me turn my attention to him.

He greeted me with a smile. I noticed The dark circles underneath his eyes grew more darker over time.

Must've worked another late hour. Poor man. No wonder he came home so late yesterday.

You see, my dad's a real hard worker. We aren't exactly in poverty, but my mom's medicine isn't cheap either. Unfortunately we couldn't afford it.

"I'm making some blueberry pancakes. Hold on will ya?"

My dad chuckled slightly, already wearing his boots.

The job in the mines aren't easy either. That's why I always make sure I take care of the house and help mom bake for her pastry shop.

Speaking of which, I hear the stairs creaking. My mom appeared a few moments later with a big smile in her face.

"Good morning muffin." She greeted, kissing the top of my head gently.

She calls me muffins because that's the best selling thing in the pastry shop. Not to mention it's her favourite snack also.

After serving the food on the table, we had a peaceful moment together in the morning. The radio was turned on earlier and was now playing some peaceful jazz music.

That moment was quickly interrupted by a sudden knock.

A guest this early in the morning?

I made my way towards the door, unlocking it.

What I saw standing in front of me stunned me.

An old lady that looks like in the early 80s stood regally by my door. She wore a dark purple turtleneck and grey cardigan. But what baffled me was her witch hat.

I didn't know it was October.

"Um... Sorry but we didn't know it was October already... We don't have any candies ready."

She raised a hand to shush me - or at least I thought that was what she was doing. But what was in her hand was a letter.

"Is your parents home?" Her tone of voice came off strict.

Thinking it was for my dad, I nodded and rushed inside.

"Dad! There's this creepy weird lady that just asked for you. She thinks it's Halloween or something."

My mom and dad looked at each other quizzically before standing up and heading towards the front door together.

I followed them, hiding behind the wall.