Part 4

The only place Louis escapes to is music. It's the only thing that brings peace into the chaos of his life. It's the one solace Louis has always had and thought he always would. Music has always been Louis' closest friend. Except for today, it feels more like a traitor. Because every single song reminds Louis of him.

Every single lyric reminds Louis of Harry.

It's not fair. Harry shouldn't be impacting Louis' life the way he has, and Louis doesn't understand a single ounce of it. He doesn't understand it at all. And ever since Thursday night, all Louis has felt is guilt.

In an attempt to get away from all things Harry, Louis goes out for a walk. Fresh air is its own kind of medicine, and sometimes all Louis needs are a few deep inhales to expel the stress. Outside, September has brought with it a breeze that cools the remaining summer heat off of Louis' skin. And just as it comes to press upon him in the lightest of touches, it leaves just as fast, taking with it his frustration.

An hour passes of Louis wandering around town until he stops at Bridge's Bookstore. They make the best tea around, and while he wanted to separate himself from music, he is curious to know if Bridgette has any more information on the talent scout. Louis can't help himself, honestly. And to be fair, the bookstore is on his way back to his apartment, so it's not like he's going out of his way.

Though to be fair, Louis would still stop even if he had to walk another mile or so to make it.

The bookstore is on the corner of Third Street, in an older building that's seen better days. From the outside, it isn't all that enticing. The letters of the name are faded, and the building could use a few new layers of paint, but it's Louis' favorite place regardless. Entering in through the front door, the room lays out into a bookstore, with a café in the far right corner. Like the outer, the inside has an old but homey ambiance. Like walking into a grandparents' home, and feeling an instant kind of comfort from just a single smell.

Bridge's, however, has more than just that. At night, they close off the front half of the store where the books and tea reside, and open up the back half that's locked during the day. It's small for a venue, but it's the most popular place in town on a Saturday evening. Because the back half is where the night comes alive. Where teenagers and college students and adults congregate to hear the best of the local talent. Where Louis shifts into The Rogue and plays his songs until his voice is hoarse and his feet are bruised from jumping on the stage all night.

It's where Louis comes to be himself in the rawest sense of the word - unafraid and unhinged.

"Well look what the cat dragged in," Bridgette says as soon as she spots Louis coming to the counter. A few years ago, Bridgette took over the shop from her mother when she had been well into her forties, though most people could never tell. With her long, ashy blonde hair pulled into a ponytail, Louis makes his way over to her, happy to talk with his favorite person from around this area.

"No need for name callin' there, Bridge."

She playfully rolls her eyes, "Whatever you say, Louis. Yorkshire today?"

"You know it."

As the woman starts to make Louis' order, she returns to their conversation. "So...anything new and exciting you have to share?"

"Not particularly. I actually came to see if you had anything new to tell me."

"I knew you didn't come just for me," she laughs. "Honestly? Other than the fact that I know the scout is coming, I don't know anything else. But the lineup is solidified for that night, so that's good. It'll be a great show."