Part 17

"Fuck," Louis screams as his fingers fumble overplaying the notes on the keyboard. "Fuck! I fucking had it. What the fuck."

"Louis..." Liam says.

"What?!"

Niall and Liam share worried looks as Niall says what Liam seems to be holding back on, "Louis, you're not okay."

"I'm fine. It's just these fucking keys. Or my fingers. I don't know. It's not working."

It's their band practice on Sunday, and Louis is having a hard time keeping up. Every time he's tried to play the new song, he messes up. It's most likely because he hasn't had much sleep the past two nights, and his mood isn't helping whatsoever.

"You need a break."

"No."

"Yes, and call your mom or something. You clearly have something bothering you, and she always has a way to calm you down."

The reminder of his mom, who he hasn't spoken to nearly as much as he'd like, weighs heavily on him. "Fine. Practice is over. I guess I'll just see you guys tomorrow."

Liam and Niall escape quietly through his front door, while Louis sits on his bed and sighs. He is stressing out. Ignoring the fact that Louis' annoyed by how Niall and Liam said it, talking to his mom would be good. She always has the best advice for him, regardless of what he wants to talk to her about. That's why they're as close as they are. Because Louis feels like he can go to her for anything, and not only not be judged, but also be given genuine guidance.

He does miss her a lot while he's away at school - as well as his sisters. And he's excited about the upcoming breaks so that he can spend time with them all again. In the meantime, however, he has to work with what he can and currently, the distance is still a deterrent. Hesitantly unlocking his phone screen, using the best means of communication he has, Louis pulls up the number to call the house where he grew up. It rings three times when someone finally answers.

"Hello?"

It's Louis' eldest sister that picks up, "Lottie put mom on the phone."

"Wow, Louis. Nice to talk to you too. She's not home."

"It's Sunday, where is she?"

"Some birthday party. Why what's up?"

"Nothing."

"Hey," she snaps with a similar attitude as Louis, "Don't be like that! I'm not dumb, I know you're upset."

"How can you possibly make that conclusion?"

"Because I'm your sister and I know you better than you think."

"Ugh," Louis groans. "Well I mean, yeah I am. I'm going through something right now, Lots. That's why I want to talk to mom."

"Talk to me," she says, "Go on."

Louis huffs, "This guy just...it's been a lot of back and forth with him, and I don't know what to do."

"Okay...why don't you start from the beginning?"

So Louis does. Explaining every minuscule detail to her over the phone, as she quietly hums along to his story. By the end of it, Louis' unsure of how she's going to respond. Anytime he thinks he knows how she's going to react, it's always the opposite. And this time, he truly doesn't have a clue as to what she's thinking.

"You want my honest opinion, Lou?"

"That's why I'm telling you this," he snarkily says.

"You need to be more forward."