Chapter 7: America, AKA The Worst Decision Maker

The song was the vibe I was going for with this chapter. Gay idiots.

"Dad! You're always going on business trips. You promised you'd come to Key West with me next week." Florida complained. They were sitting on America's bed, watching him toss clothes haphazardly into a suitcase and enjoying being in the way. America was packing for the flight tomorrow, and it turned out that packing for two weeks of vacation in Siberia was not an easy task. For one, he had to pack a ton of winter clothes, which he didn't have because he was at his Florida beach house. He'd brought some from his Michigan house, but he wasn't sure if it would be enough.

Oh well. He could always steal Soviet's coat again. He had to bite back a smile at the thought.

"Did I?"

Florida frowned, crossing their arms. "You did."

America sighed. Admittedly, he'd forgotten all about that. He was so bad at plans, his schedule always packed. He was always pushing off some appointment or another. "I'm sorry baby, I forgot. I promise I'll go to the Keys with you when I get back."

"It'll be November when you get back!" Florida complained, flopping down on the bed. America's phone vibrated on the nightstand, and they raised an eyebrow. "Who's texting you?"

"Doesn't matter. Touch my phone and I'm not going with you to the Keys at all."

Florida stuck their tongue out. America shook his head, smiling despite himself. Florida had always been a rambunctious child, quite the chaotic neutral. They seemed to enjoy finding every weird activity and then doing it with glee. Their energy was one of the many reasons America enjoyed hanging out with them.

Florida eyed the pair of skinny jeans and plush grey sweater America had tossed on the bed. "Bit sexy for a business trip, no?"

"You're not allowed to judge my outfit choices, sir Let Me Wear Booty Shorts in December." America retorted, ignoring the blush that creeped up his neck. It was a little sexy, but that was the point. The outfit was sexy without being too slutty, and that's what he liked about it. Skinny jeans made his thighs and oddly feminine hips look nice. Not that Soviet would notice. The man was oblivious. It would be more productive to flirt with a rock.

"I'm not a sir," Florida said playfully.

"I haven't found a gender neutral term yet." America tried his best to treat his LGBT kids well, being that he was bisexual himself. Florida was non-binary, and while he tried his damndest to find gender-neutral terms, he hadn't found a version for sir or ma'am yet.

"Lord has a nice ring to it," They replied, picking at their nails. America rolled his eyes, shoving a coat into his already full suitcase. "Anyways, who are you seeing that requires an outfit like that?"

"You know I can't tell you that."

"Hmph. Fine. Be boring then." Florida pouted, picking up a navy hoodie that said 'US Coast Guard' on the back in white . "This is cute. Where'd you get it?"

"Bought it a few years back, in Cape May." America was only half listening, scrolling through his phone. Soviet hadn't sent him messages today, but Colorado and Michigan had gotten into another hockey argument in the family group chat. Michigan had mentioned him repeatedly, trying to get his take on the 1997 Bloodbath.

Michigan: TELL COLORADO THAT IT WAS DESERVED

Colorado: ONE PLAYER DOES NOT DESERVE A FULL ON BRAWL.  A YEAR LATER NONETHELESS. HOW DO YOU HOLD GRUDGES THIS BAD?

Michigan: YOU KNOCKED OUR BEST PLAYERS TEETH OUT, YES IT DOES. DAAAAAAAD WHERE ARE YOU

Me: Jesus Christ you two. It's been decades, let it go. I'm not getting involved. I'm busy.