The Streets of Dano

Dawn- A desert plain

(A merchant rides a camel and halts at an oasis in the midst of a desert. The camel carries bundles of cloth that hang at its sides, thumping along its body with every step it takes)

MERCHANT (in Arabic): Cha-cha. Slow down, girl.

(The camel stops in front of the pool, the sun reflects off the water. The camel bends down to drink and the MERCHANT hops off)

MERCHANT: Almost to Dano, just another pace or so.

(The merchant takes out his canteen and bends down to get water)

MERCHANT (wiping sweat off of his forehead): This should be the last water break, I hope.

(A nearby shrub shakes violently, disrupting the quiet oasis)

MERCHANT (calm): Hm?

(A large blue-eyed desert cobra emerges from the shrub)

MERCHANT: Oh, it's just you.

(The merchant fills his canteen, sighing and standing up)

MERCHANT: You gave me quite a spook, Azul.

(The snake hisses and slithers around the merchant)

MERCHANT: Quit it. Tell me of the banker in Silow.

(The snake eyes glow bright blue and it begins to hisses rhythmically)

MERCHANT: Did you take his gold as well?

(Hisses)

MERCHANT (cold glaze): No, I'm glad you did. Taught that heathen a lesson, his daughter, or my gold.

(the MERCHANT hooks the canteen onto the camel's packs)

AZUL (in a deep serpent voice): Pleased?

MERCHANT: Yes. I see you're learning the human tongue well, Azul.

AZUL: Many thanks.

MERCHANT (hopping onto the camel, looking far away): I will see you in Dano. I except more gold when I arrive.

AZUL (disappearing into the sand): Not disappoint.

(The merchant rides on, leaving the oasis)

Noon - A street market in Dano

(The streets of Dano bustle with shoppers, the smell of roasting meats and honey fill the streets. The MERCHANT's camel turns the corner of a busy street and enters a small alley which is a bit secluded from the market. He leaves the camel tied up on the side of a door, he knocks softly on the door)

MERCHANT (loudly): Joseph, open up.

(The door creaks open slightly, showing the face of a young boy with olive skin and brown shaggy hair)

MERCHANT (softly): Is your mother home?

(The boy looks back into the house then back at the MERCHANT, nodding)

MERCHANT: Good boy. Let me see her.

(The door closes, there's a loud male voice from inside but its silence by a hush. The door is pulled open from inside. There stands a young caucasian woman with freckles. Her hair is matted and it covers half of her face)

MERCHANT: Hello, Isabelle.

ISABELLE (shaken): What do you want?

MERCHANT: I'm here to be with what's mine.