Chapter 1

"Will! You've got mail!" I hear Mom call to me from across the house. I quickly leave my spot from the couch and run down the hall to the front door where Mom is smiling with an envelope in her hand. A bag of groceries sits on the small table by the door.

"Is it from Rimwell?" I ask as I take the letter.

"I believe so." She says.

I rip the envelope open and take the folded paper out. I hesitate to unfold it before closing my eyes and unfolding it.

"What are you doing?" Mom chuckles.

"I'm scared to read it." I answer.

"Do you want me to?"

"No. I can do it." I take a deep breath and open my eyes to read it.

Dear William Spears,

I am happy to inform you that your application to attend Rimwell Academy on scholarship has been accepted.

"I got in!" I yell and jump up and down.

"I knew you would!" Mom says as I stop jumping and hug her. "What do you want for dinner? I'll get your dad to get on his way home."

"Steak, corn on the cob and potatoes." I answer as I take the grocery bag to the kitchen.

"I can put that away." She protests.

"I got it." I put the groceries away. "Can I go to Jakes? I want to tell him the news."

"Yeah. Go ahead." Mom smiles and I quickly leave after giving her one more hug. I don't bother getting on my bike and just sprint down the streets to Jakes house.

Once I get there I go in because he's my best friend and he won't care. I find his dads in the living room with smiles.

"Oh hey Will. What's the rush?" Levi asks.

"I got my letter." I smile. "Is Jake home?"

"In his room." Arthur answers.

"I take it you got in?" Levi questions.

"Hell yeah I did." I answer.

"Congrats." He smiles with Arthur.

"Thanks." With that I go up the stairs and to Jake's room. I burst through the door. He's laying on his bed with headphones on and his eyes closed. "Jake!" I yell to get his attention causing him to jump and take his headphones off.

"Jesus dude." He sighs.

"I got in!" I yell and throw the letter on his stomach.

"No shit!" He smiles and hugs me. "I knew you'd get in. Your music is awesome."

"Thanks. We're having steak tonight. I'm sure you could come join us."

"Yeah. Of course." He says.

"What do you want to do while we wait?" I ask.

"We could play video games or something?" He suggests.

"Call of Duty?" He nods and we go downstairs to play in the living room. Arthur and Levi join and we play until mom calls me.

"You guys have fun." Levi tells us as we leave.

"Alright." Jake says.

We walk down the street and talk.

"When are you leaving for Rimwater?" He asks me.

"I think in the next few days. I have to pack and everything and we have to get plane tickets." I shrug.

"I'm gonna miss you, man." He says.