Familiar Faces

Clementine stood on the porch, leaning on the railing, staring at the morning sky.
Most of the group sat and stood around too.
"You're new," a girl said walking up to Clementine.
"Yeah, I got here a few days ago," Clementine turned to the girl.
"I swear it's not always like this here," the girl smiled a little. Clementine smiled back.
"I'm Enid," she introduced.
"I'm Clementine."
"Maybe you're my age? I'm fifteen," Enid said leaning on the railing next to Clementine.
"Yep. I'm fifteen."
"Didn't you say yesterday that you were fourteen?" Tara questioned, eavesdropping.
"I was fourteen yesterday," Clementine said fidgeting with her sleeve.
"Oh- happy birthday, Clementine!" Tara smiled. Enid smiled too. "Yeah, happy birthday."
Clementine gave a small smile, still looking at her sleeve that she was fidgeting with.
"Thanks."

"She's one of us. We've seen her go out of her way to help us so many times in just two days," Maggie said to Sasha, Glenn, and Abraham. They were sitting on the opposite side of the deck, staring at her.
Clementine was sitting against the wall of the house, with her knees to her chest, with her head rested on her knees, eyes closed. AJ was leaned up against her, asleep.
"That hat looks familiar," Glenn pointed out.
"It's probably a popular baseball team," Maggie shrugged.
"What's her name?" He asked.
"Clementine."
"I knew it! It's that little girl from Macon!" Glenn exclaimed.
"What? You know her?" Sasha asked.
"When things first started, there was this group we saved out in Macon, and she was there. She was really young though. Couldn't have been older than ten," Glenn explained. "There was a man taking care of her. I don't think he was her Dad.. But he helped me so much in the little I knew them before I left for Atlanta."
Maggie nodded.
"Lee. She's mentioned him to Carl."
Glenn was quiet for a second before asking.
"What happened to him?"
Maggie just looked at him, communicating with her facial expression.
"Who's that little kid with her?" Abraham asked.
"That's AJ. I don't know where his parents are. If Clementine wasn't with her parents at the start, that can't be her little brother, but she's been taking care of him," Maggie answered.
"All by herself?" Sasha asked, shocked.
"Yeah."

Clementine sat only about five feet away, so she could definitely hear the conversation being had about her. She figured they probably assumed she was asleep. She would rather be sleeping then listen to them discussing her past. At least she knew that it was, in fact, the Glenn from Lee's drug store like she deducted. She continued pretending to sleep because it'd probably be awkward if they realized otherwise.

A few weeks later, rebuilding & recovering Alexandria

"Look," Enid picked up a deflated balloon with a piece of notebook paper attached.
Carl and Clementine stopped walking to see what Enid had found.
"What's it say?" Carl asked.
"It got wet. All the words are gone," Enid said, after unfolding the paper.
Carl and Clementine kept walking.
"It doesn't look that old," Enid followed, still holding the balloon.
"We can't read what they wrote, but, just by doing this, they're saying something," Enid stated.
"What?" Clementine asked, raising an eyebrow.
"That we're not alone," Enid said.
"We knew that. We saw it. People died," Carl said. Enid sighed. "Why are we coming out here?" Enid asked.
"Cause we're kids. It's what we do," Carl answered. "We're not kids," Enid said in an exasperated tone.

The three of them sat in the woods, reading and snacking. Suddenly they heard rustling. They all looked up. "Let's go," Enid said standing up. Carl took out his gun and crouched in front of the tree, and Clementine took out her knife. "Stay here," Clementine told the others. "I'll watch your back," Carl told her. Clementine nodded, and slowly walked forward, to see if she could find the source of the rustling.
She lowered her knife and turned back.
"Michonne and Spencer," she told them. Carl lowered his gun. "What were they doing?" Enid asked Clementine.
She shrugged. "Walking. I don't know."
Carl went back to reading, while Clementine sheathed her knife.
"I don't want to come out here anymore," Enid said. Carl closed his comic book, and put it away in the metal trunk by the tree they were sitting against.
"Okay." He and Clementine walked away, and Enid followed.