xii | far away

ASPENPAW | The Seer

ASPENPAW | The Seer

The storm faded in the weeks to follow, but the wind was still singing to Aspenpaw. She could still hear it, even when the air was clear and the clouds innocently drifting, the air still chanted of something else to come. Something more. 

She couldn't imagine there being anything worse than what had already happened. 

Nightkit. 

Smokypounce. 

The words were a constant repetition in her mind. 

And perhaps she could even count Swiftleaf. Shortly after Crowpaw had finally sagged, sobbing, crawling into his nest, with Aspenpaw rushing close behind to curl around his shaking body, Rainpaw had spat into the shaky silence: 

"Swiftleaf mentioned a prophecy, the stuck-up fox."

She had the sense that Snailclaw was talking, his voice muffled, as if underwater. 

"Aspenpaw, pay attention!" 

She flinched, dragging herself out of that trance somewhat reluctantly. All at once, the song of the wind faded, leaving the sounds of the WindClan territory in its wake. Birds, twittering. Insects chirping springing up from the grass, shifting loudly around her paws. 

"What?" 

"Come on, Aspenpaw, I know it must be difficult, but I need just a little bit more from you."

She bit back a scowl. "What were you saying?"

Snailclaw rolled his eyes, tabby pelt rippling with the movement. "Let's see your fighting stance, come on." 

Reluctantly, she slid her legs back, trying to balance herself. The grass whistled with her movements; a gust of wind buffeted against her face, cool and pleasant, carrying a familiar scent. 

"Rainpaw is close by," she reported softly. 

"Aspenpaw, concentrate!" her mentor snapped, making her jump. 

Letting a hiss pass through her gritted teeth, she adjusted her legs, using her claws to dig into the dirt, bending with her tail twitching behind her, until she was cautiously balanced, poised to block or oppose an attacker. She felt Snailclaw's judging eyes fixated on her, and self-consciously adjusted her position slightly. She lifted her head. 

"That's alright, I suppose. But you're leaning too far to the right." 

Aspenpaw tried to slide her hind legs together, but stumbled to the right before she could fix the mistake. She landed with a sharp 'oof!' in the dirt, sending dust flying in clouds around her. "Oops."