Chapter Two

Chapter Two

By the time they reached midnight, there were still a few people queuing to get in. The sign was just like Freddie's, except it shined a bright white light which lit up the street around them. It was comforting considering she still felt eyes on her even now.

Inside she could hear the music, muffled by the steel door before them. The beat of the music vibrated beneath her feet and she closed her eyes only for a few seconds to place the song. Nightmare by Halsey, ironic really considering the nightmare Neviah was living in. When she opened her eyes, Corey was the next in line. Neviah turned around and noticed it was only the three of them left.

Charlotte was stood in front of Neviah, her face filled with concern. 'Are you sure you're up to this?' She briefly turned around to check on Corey, who was rummaging through his wallet for the ID cards. 'Are you still having the nightmares?'

For the past few weeks, Neviah had had the same dream. It always started with Neviah being surrounded by a blazing fire in a wooded area. Sometimes she would hear other voices in the distance and other times it would be as silent as the grave, but no matter what happened in the middle the ending was always the same. Neviah closed her eyes and remembered the dream as if it were happening right now.

Neviah watched as the faceless woman dragged her body across the ground towards her. She watched as the woman clutched at the two bloody holes which stained her white tank top. She reached towards the bottom of her leather trousers and pulled out a jewelled dagger. Neviah watched horrified as the faceless woman cut her palm.

Blood oozed from the wound and stained the green grass below. Neviah could feel the heat from the flames which gradually crept closer and closer towards them.

'Hurry Neviah,' she said, her voice was hoarse. 'I don't have much time, and they need you.'

'Who?' Neviah asked as the woman reached out and cut Neviah's palm. Neviah hissed at the pain and felt the sting of tears in her eyes. The faceless woman dropped the dagger and joined her bloodied hand with Neviah's.

'This is our curse alone Neviah. I'm sorry.'

Neviah always tried to reach out for the woman, but that's when she would wake up.

Neviah suddenly felt a throbbing pain from her palm. She opened her eyes and looked down at her hand, tracing the white line with her index finger.

Her mother had said it was a birthmark, which was a common thing for most people but there was just something strange about this one.

'V?' Charlotte touched Neviah's hand with her own and smiled. 'You know you can talk to me.'

'I know,' Neviah closed her hand around her friends, and returned the smile. 'I haven't had the dream for a few days now. I'm alright, honest.'

Charlotte nodded, happy with Neviah's response, and turned back towards Corey who had produced their Midnight ID's. She couldn't remember the last decent night sleep she'd had. Truth was, she wasn't ready to go into that club and have anyone and anything pressed up against her. All she really wanted was to go home and dream of nothing.

Neviah took a few steps forward and watched as George rolled his eyes at them. He was one of the best Bouncers Midnight had, mainly because he used to be a police officer but also because he used to hunt vampires, before he fell in love with one.

'Ah, come on George buddy old pal.' Corey punched him lightly in the left shoulder. George didn't even budge. 'Don't look at us like that, we are just here to have a good time.'