Chapter Five

Michael sat at the kitchen counter attempting to do homework. He knew he had loads to do that would take both Saturday and Sunday but he just couldn't focus on the problems in front of him. His mind was full of the image of Luke and Luke on top of him and Luke staring at his lips. Why the hell was Luke staring at his lips?

Michael wasn't against homosexuality. Definitely not. That was only his batshit crazy mum. But Luke was a super religious boy who went to church every Sunday, spent his free time with the youth group, and wore a cross around his neck. The mere idea of Luke having a crush on Michael seemed ridiculous.

Luke casually walked into the kitchen and sat opposite him. It was as if thinking his name too many times summoned him.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Homework," Michael replied. His nose was wrinkled up as if it gave off a foul stench. "None of it makes sense though."

Luke peered over at his paper. "Sure it does. I can help if you want," he said.

Michael blushed. "Oh um.... Okay."

He attempted to pay attention as Luke explained the problems and helped him answer the questions. But every time Luke leaned closer to him, He couldn't stop thinking about what happened that morning. He kept smelling Luke's green apple shampoo, seeing his wide blue eyes, and feeling his body pressed against Michael's. Finally he couldn't take it anymore.

"What did it mean?" He asked, interrupting Luke explaining logarithms.

Luke made a confused face and said, "Well it...it doesn't really mean anything. It's just a math problem."

"Not that." He took a deep breath, "This morning when you fell on top of me, you stared at my lips. Why did you do that? What does that mean? It's been eating me alive for the past four hours."

Luke's face turned a deep crimson and he stared at the wall behind Michael. "Don't know what you mean."

"Yes you do! I'm not blind, Luke," Michael said. "Tell me."

"It... it didn't mean anything..."

It was quiet for a minute. Michael knew he was lying. It was painfully obvious. While he may not have been good at math, he was pretty perceptive.

"Then why won't you look me in the eye?" He challenged. Luke lowered his eyes and met his. His gaze flickered down to his lips again and he flushed even more before looking away yet again.

"You did it again," Michael said slowly. "I don't get why..."

Luke dropped his head to his hands. He let out a long sigh of exasperation. "Fuck, Michael, you're so innocent."

"I'm not innocent!"

"Yes," he said, "you are! If you weren't innocent you would understand what it means. You're mum raised you like a religious boy whether you want to be or not. You have pure morals."

"Not according to her," he mumbled.

Luke bit his lip and stared at the countertop for a moment as if contemplating what to say next. "Michael," he said carefully, "when someone stares at someone else's lips like that... it generally means they want to kiss you."

Michael said nothing. Michael did nothing. He sat there and stared at Luke blankly, almost like he waiting for the older boy to start cracking up and say "Just kidding, you gullible dumbass!"

But he never did. Michael stared at Luke and Luke stared back, just as serious.

"You want to kiss me?" Michael finally said. "You want to kiss me?"