FOUR pt.2

FOUR pt.2 | Past

[ Her Perspective ]

   'On my first day of independence training, I'm getting swindled?'

I took a step back while looking at him, "Who are you?" I demanded, my voice steady despite the unease gnawing at my insides. I didn't dare to look away, afraid that any moment of distraction could spell trouble.

I demanded, my voice steady despite the unease gnawing at my insides. I didn't dare to look away, afraid that any moment of distraction could spell trouble.

   "Who are you? What do you want–"

   "NINA!!"

A voice erupted from afar and snapped me out of my apprehension, my gaze darting towards the source of the voice. And there they were, a young boy with brown hair and piercing blue eyes, accompanied by a girl wearing glasses. They were charging towards me with an urgency that mirrored my own rising panic.

Without a second thought, I turned on my heel and bolted, my heart hammering against my ribcage as I sprinted through the maze-like streets. Fear lent wings to my feet as I wove through the crowded thoroughfares, the sound of pursuit echoing in my ears.

   "No, wait!"

I ran, and ran, solely relying on my adrenaline to try and outrun them. I didn't bother to look behind me, since I knew they were chasing after me. I clutched my bag tightly and ran, bending around corners and down narrow passageways.

But even as I pushed my body to its limits, I couldn't shake the feeling of impending doom that hung over me like a dark cloud. I kicked over barrels and boxes in a desperate attempt to slow my pursuers, but to no avail.

I took a sharp left turn into another alleyway and gave all my energy into running. My heart dropped when I looked up from my frantic running, realizing that I had reached a dead end.

   "Ninelie! Stop... running!"

The words washed over me, a tidal wave of despair threatening to pull me under. My legs trembled beneath me, strength drained away by the relentless pursuit.

I stealthily reached into my bag, feeling the cold metal of the Glock Gramps insisted I carry for protection. My breath came in ragged gasps, my senses heightened by the impending danger lurking around me.