Chapter Four: Love Taking In Place

Caroline saw us talking. After her father left, she walked towards me. Her mind was just asking herself what was going on.

            "What did my dad say?" she asked.

            My eyes grew large. My hands started to sweat. I was really nervous. I turned my eyes away from Caroline. It took me a second to think of an answer. Should I tell her or not? I don't know what will happen. My time’s up. She needs to know my answer.

            "Nothing," I lied.

            "C'mon Liam. Tell me. I will not be mad at you. What did he say?" she asked again.

            "Really it's nothing."

            I know that that answer didn't satisfy her. I just walked out like I have nothing to say anymore. Exactly at that time the school be rung. Both of us were the only students outside the school. If we get caught late, we'll be spending our weekend in detention.

            Again, like yesterday, we run as fast as we can to our classroom. I am very exhausted right now. I can't take another step or I will die. But I still have to run that fast and hopefully we can't get caught late. I really don't want to spend my Saturday in detention.

            The running didn't save us at all. In fact we were only this close to being punctual but Ms. Ruby was 20 steps ahead of us. Before we even take another step, she caught us with her very sharp eyes. We are really busted this time.

            "Both of you, detention this Saturday, 8 am. Got that?" she said rapidly.

            We entered the room with full of regret of being late. We know that we should have come earlier. I have come to notice that since Caroline came, many of these bad things had happened to me. But I'm not blaming her. I'm just may be bummed out right now and I am judging people because of this reason.

            My head is aching. Probably it's because of all the running and pressure. I can't even listen to Ms. Ruby or it will get worse. Maybe I should wait this off. I am sure that it will stop if I stop listening for a while. I will also rest this off this lunch if it doesn't stop.

            I let Ms. Ruby keep babbling in front while I was sitting on my chair daydreaming. The whole period finally ended. I lost my focus and haven't heard a word from Ms. Ruby. I didn't even know what the topic was. Not only that, I missed out our homework.

            The class went wild when Ms. Ruby left. We were all taking advantage as fast as we can before our next period. Some were already making their homework in the room and some are finishing their homework for today. Caroline approached my slowly with her notebook.

            "Can you help me out with this?" she asked pointing her finger to the problem.

            "Okay," I answered and started to teach Caroline.

            She was impressed with my teaching. She looked into my eyes and pretended that she nothing happened. I know her thoughts and just played along. Something went on Caroline's mind that distracted her from listening.

            At last, she finally spoke what was on her mind. "Liam, what did my father say to you?"

            I stopped talking and went serious with her. "I think it's better that you should not know," I replied.

            "Look if you're mad at me by being so rude today, I am sorry. I really didn't mean to say all those things to you. I just said that so that my father wouldn't mad at me."