CHAPTER FOUR

The wedding took place at last finally.

Guests said it was more than just a wedding ceremony.

Many of my friends had attended and one of such friends was Laraba who played the role of a bridesmaid very well.

Lanti was there, too Why not?

As a specialist in lalle  flowery designs, she made some designs that she said were strictly for brides.

The designs had heart shapes and flowers all over my palms and feet.

The wedding ceremony lasted three days in all.

The thought of leaving behind all the people I used to know became too much for me. The thought of leaving the life I used to lead gave me sleepless nights.

The thought of leaving Kaduna behind was seemingly unbearable. All these thoughts struck like a spearhead in my heart. Leaving my brothers, sisters and parents pained me the most. With the finality of a door being slammed on some chapters of my life, I accepted my fate with calm indifference.

Mohammed had once told me some sweet words the last time we spoke on the telephone.

"Rabiat, I would neither have liking nor pity, I must have your heart of hearts as you would have mine."

I understood exactly what he meant was love, loyalty and commitment and that was exactly what I had and very much wanted to offer. I had surrendered myself to this marriage, bearing in mind that surrender was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice and besides I like Mohammed.

He had charm and he is kind.

The day I was to be formally taken to Kano, I twitched with the contemplation of the new life I was entering. That was where I had to live with Mohammed and his family.

I was eighteen years old then. I wrote in my diary. I am to enter a new life…. I assured my already confused mind. I was blind with tears…. I couldn't write any more.

I remembered Mahmud….then I prayed in my mind to forget him.

As we drove to Kano, I was greeted by ease in my mind once again. I wondered why my mood kept fluctuating. In those miles along the twisted roads not far from some steep rocks, I sighted some familiar villages. In a particular village, it was a market day, with so much traffic hold up, as the farmer and their customers bargained for cash crops while some half naked children chased chickens around. 

We arrived Kano towards evening.

That evening, I can recall, was still and cloudy.

Kano, with its scenes of attraction, seemed bright and welcoming. In procession we drove by the gidan makama museum. I sighted some visitors and tourists with their cameras, before we arrive Lugard Road.

As soon as we reached our destination, the guard, an old man, opened the gates to let us into what was to be my residence.

The mansion was stately indeed. The garden was beautiful, with surrounding trees and walls round it for added privacy. The sitting rooms were well stuffed, with all the necessary modern luxuries. All were furnished magnificently and only one room was empty, though spacious. It was in this room that my relatives would do my danki.

I could not hide my delight upon the, discovery that my home would be quite comfortable.

The house-help, a man of about fifty years, came in to welcome us. Soon, there was so much hustle and bustle, as the visitors helped themselves to food and drinks.