part i | chapter v

[Name] watched the sunset on the beach, just like she would back on Destiny Islands. In fact, it looked like she was back on Destiny Islands. She knew that wasn't the case though. This was something much different. What gave it away was the sun stuck in the sky, never moving. She watched with an unwavering gaze, as the fiery orb of light was stuck at the moment where it sank beneath the horizon, and threads of light lingered in the sky, mingling with he rolling clouds, dyeing the heavens first orange, then red, then dark blue, and even a chalky mauve. The waves crashing against the sand, the wind rushing through palm leaves, and the sound of water rushing from the waterfall — it was all music to her ears. It really did feel like home. 

Once again, Sora, Donald, and Goofy were back in Traverse Town, but this time around they were missing someone. Leon was going to be pissed when he found out they lost [Name]. Sora shivered in fear at the thought. Leon could be scary, he figured that out when he first met him/fought him. 

"Sora!" Donald grabbed Sora's attention. 

"Now, just remember what Donald said to ya: no frowning, no sad faces." Goofy reprimanded the teen. 

But how could Sora not frown, what with everything that's gone wrong? "How can you be so cheerful?" queried Sora. "There's still no sign of your king. Aren't you worried?" 

"Aw, phooey!" Donald exclaimed. 

"The king told us to go out and find the key bearer, and we found you. [Name] too! So as long as we still together, it'll all work out okay!" Goofy reassured. 

"But [Name] isn't here!" Sora wanted to shout. He felt defeated, hopeless, angry, betrayed, and tired. The teen wanted to scream and shout, and maybe even cry some. "Ya just gotta believe in yourself, that's all." Goofy continued. 

"Just believe." Sora closed his eyes. Goofy made it sound so easy, and maybe it was. But the simplest things sounded challenging, right now. 

"I believe in you." He heard [Name]'s voice. 

Sora saw a young [Name] run up to her an elderly woman, a bright grin on her rounded features. Where am I? Sora wondered. It looked like a library but not one he's ever been too. Not that he frequented libraries — that was [Name]'s thing. 

"Grandma, could you tell me that story?" [Name] asked the woman. 

"Again, dear?" Her grandmother laughed. 

"Please?" [Name] pleaded, pulling out her puppy eyes. 

Her grandma hummed, "Very well then." [Name] giggled with glee. 

Long ago, people lived in peace, bathed in the warmth of light. Everyone loved the light. Then people began to fight over it. They wanted to keep it for themselves. And darkness was born in their hearts. The darkness spread, swallowing the light and many people's hearts. It covered everything and the world disappeared

But small fragments of light survived...in the hearts of children. With these fragments of light, children rebuilt the lost world. It's the world we live in now. But the true light sleeps, deep within the darkness. That's why the worlds are still scattered, divided from each other. But someday, a door to the innermost darkness will open. 

And the true light will return. 

So, listen, child. Even in the deepest darkness, there will always be a light to guide you. Believe in the light, and the darkness will never defeat you. Your heart will shine with its power and push the darkness away.