Prologue

"Get on you stupid horse!" the furious jockey fumed. The dapple grey stallion threw his head back obviously upset. The horse's ears were pinned back, and his nostrils flared.

"Enough! I said GET ON!" the jockey swung the whip down onto the horse's neck and the stallion rose up onto his hind legs unseating the jockey and throwing him onto the grass. The horse quickly spun around and before the jockey knew what was happening, he jumped out of the steeplechase course and into the bush. While the stallion was having the run of his life, the jockey stumbled to his feet.

"Arrh, you cursed thing!" he muttered under his breath before bending down to pick up the cracked saddle which had come off when he had fell. How was he going to tell Reece? His boss wouldn't be happy. "Welp, there goes my career," he mumbled, stomping off to see Reece.

If the jockey had thought his boss would be mad because of the saddle, he was definitely wrong. Reece was sitting in the haybales typing something on his laptop as the jockey emerged through the doors of the stable.

"Cracked another saddle haven't ya eh?" his boss chuckled.

"Uh yes, but the thing is..." the jockey started but Reece interrupted.

"Don't worry young man, us, steeplechasers, we have a record for breaking the most tack," Reece joked, "Oh, I forgot, and the most bones too! I broke my collar bone twice when I was riding!" He was clearly in a good mood. The jockey wondered if he should tell him what happened.

"Haha..." the jockey forced a laugh, "Um...well...it isn't just that, when I fell Windstorm kind of...ran off. He jumped the fence of the yard...and...uh..." At the mention of Windstorm's name Reece tensed up, his mood suddenly changed.

"Windstorm what?" Reece asked with wide eyes, "Don't tell me he's loose!"

"Uh, well yeah, that's what happened, I was trying to...um..." The jockey trailed off.

"I don't care what happened! I want my prized horse back! So he got loose and the only thing you can think to do is come and tell me! Do something now! I want him back! Don't you realise he's the son of THE Windfire? You just let him get away like that?" Reece scolded. The jockey turned red; he knew what would come next. "Now listen to what I want you to do," his boss continued, "Go to the lobby, get all your stuff and get off my yard! You're fired!"