White Rabbit

Warning : Slight mention of blood, slight gore (but not really).

There are plenty of things a person would like to wake up to - the smell of food cooking, the sound of a stream trickling by, a kiss from a loved one. Aura would've been happy with any of them, but instead, she woke to the sound of screaming.

As she rose to her feet, Aura's eyes found the source of her human alarm clock. It was a woman. She was a fair way out in the sea and was splashing around in hopes of rescue. Between her and the shore was Jack who was keeping another person above the water.

Running as fast as her legs would take her, Aura rushed towards the shore and didn't stop until she was standing knee deep in the water. Aura always wanted to save people, but she wasn't naïve. She knew when it was too late, and she knew when she couldn't control what happened. This was one of those times.

Jack had brought one person back, and was back out in the water looking for the woman. He couldn't see her, and neither could anyone else. The tide had swallowed her. She was dead.

For the past few days the people on the beach had started to call themselves survivors, but it turns out that you're not a survivor until you're completely save - something no one on the beach could say. Someone had just died from doing something that had seemed harmless. If the rest of them weren't careful they'd end up with the same fate.

A few hours passed, and the only proof that anything had happened earlier was in Jack and the other guys mind

A few hours passed, and the only proof that anything had happened earlier was in Jack and the other guys mind. They had done their best to save the woman, but at the end of the day it wasn't enough. They couldn't blame themselves - and yet they did. It was a human response to grief. They didn't even know the woman, but maybe that's why it affected them the way it did. When someone you know dies, it's beyond painful, but you have memories to fill the empty void with. When there's no memories the void grows and plagues every thought you have. That's why the pain hit differently, but with just as much force.

Most of the beach were thinking about the recent death as well, but instead of turning numb, they distracted themselves with jobs and conversations. Claire - for example - was helping Kate sort through the luggage, creating piles of useful and not so useful clothing.

Aura walked across the beach, listening in and occasionally joining conversations as she went. She had worked hard yesterday collecting wood and hunting boar, and had decided to take today off, which left her with nothing to do. She wasn't complaining though, it was nice to not have a responsibility weighing her down.

Since nothing on the beach seemed to capture her attention, Aura headed off into the jungle - she would've talked to Ethan but he was busy trying to find information and she didn't want to be the reason he failed.

Shrubs and fallen leaves covered the jungle floor, creating rustling and snapping as Aura wandered across the island. There was a beauty to wandering - no matter where you turned, you would never end up in the wrong place, there was no right path, no errors that could be made. Aura focused on the sounds of the jungle as she walked in an attempt to distract herself from the events of the past few days. The wind was ever-so-slightly shaking the trees, birds were chirping from the high branches, crickets were humming to themselves, Jack was running by in a panicked manner, water was trickling in the distance.