Part 2

When I was ready I picked up my bag and dumped my phone inside. I checked to make sure my log book was safe inside the side pocket. I had gotten all of my ID from promise. She was president-if you like- of the Rebels. She created identification for anyone who needed it. I don’t know where we would be without promise. Probably buried six feet under with anyone else unlucky or careless enough to get caught.

Me met with her maybe once a month. There were official meetings only every couple of months maybe five or six times a year but we made point of seeing her more frequently. To keep up with peoples comings and goings and, as a result, we got quite a say in what was happening. We would see her to find out the RDA searches and Id checks. Since the clamps I thought we should see her more often. A phone number wasn’t possible seeing as phone calls could be tracked and emails were out of the question as all internet sites were closely monitored. So speaking in person was the only option. Meetings happened in obscure places and different ones every time.

I frowned down at my converse as I tied the laces and headed for the door. It was six AM now. The diner was only about a mile from where we lived at the moment so I walked. In summer it was light but as it was getting darker now I thought I should start taking a bus soon. I didn’t really deem it safe to walk alone in the dark. The streets were full of mad people, driven to the brink by their hatred for the president looking to take their anger out on something or someone.

When I got to work Isla was already there, pulling her apron on. I continued a shift from a girl called Lexi. She smiled and slung her apron under the bar, collecting my bag and heading for the door. Isla smiled at me.

‘Morning! Coffee?’ she asked, I shook my head.

‘Had some at home thanks.’ I retrieved my apron and dumped my bag under the bar.

‘since when do you turn down a caramel macchiato?’ laughed,, pulling espresso shots into a mug and adding milk for herself.

‘Xavier woke up early and made some so I’m good,’ Isla was what I referred to as a flat-earth-news girl. I mean, when they thought the earth was flat, she would have been one of the people who believed it. She lived thinking whatever the government told her was the truth. I sometimes wished I could have Isla’s life. Not know  all the terrible things I knew about the RDA and the President. Just worry about my makeup and my boyfriend, rather than whether I was going to survive the day or not.

Because once you were a rebel, it was almost impossible to ‘quit’ as it were. If you wanted to join society you would have to plead a string of reasons in front of a judge and even if you avoided the gallows you would most likely get at least ten years inside. Not that if I was caught I would even try to redeem myself. I’ve been involved in far too much suspicion to insult the jury by trying to defend myself. If I did, they would probably just target people close to me. Last time we tried anything two people were caught on a CCTV we missed. They burned. And that was just for one mistake.

                                                                        ***

Laira  sat down next to me in the circle. Truth or dare was not something I relished the thought of. I played anyway, I didn’t really want to be left out. Laira and I were playing, so was Leo, and some of the other boys from our floor. Alex, Colbie and Tate. So it was two girls and four boys, not exactly and even match.

It was ten past one. We were all in mine and Laira’s room. At twelve years old, truth or dare had just got to the slightly interesting stage. We had gotten over the ‘boys are gross’ stage although all of us were quite scared of them now and tended to stick to our own. Alex was kicking off and his eyes glanced round the circle he grinned and looked at me.

‘Emily, truth or dare?’ all eyes on me. It was a well known fact that Alex had had a crush on me since the beginning of this year but I did my best to deny accusations.

‘dare,’ I said. Well, while I was here, I might as well make things interesting. Laira was giggling insanely next to me. I nudged her.

‘okay, kiss someone in this circle.’ He smiled. He obviously hope I would pick him.

‘No,’ I said, narrowing my eyes. Laira swatted at me.

‘Em, you have to, it’s the rules,’ she said sternly.

‘Fine,’ I said folding my arms. I very quickly turned and kissed Leo lightly on the mouth. He looked taken aback.

‘There,’ I mumbled. Alex looked gobsmacked. I was glad.

                                                            ***

work went by slowly. I got off at twelve when I would probably go home. Customers came and went, I chatted with Isla about her new ‘apartment’ and she talked animatedly about her new boyfriend Scott. She rambled about the fancy restaurants he took her out to with big arm movements, her eyes sparkling. I smiled and nodded, asking questions in the appropriate places. My heart wasn’t in it, then, it never was with Isla. It wasn’t that I didn’t like her, it was hard not to. I just tried not to get to close to outsiders. There was always a chance something would slip out. Anything I said always had a chance of giving me away so I usually let her do all the talking. I served a young man of about twenty when Isla stopped to draw breath. He had blonde shaggy hair and a ring in his lip.

‘Americano please.’ He mumbled. I turned on my heel and pulled shots, topping up with hot water. I knew him from somewhere but I didn’t know where. Maybe he was a frequent customer. When I brought his order to the table he was smiling. He thanked me. Then I noticed something black and shiny inside his jacket that he was clutching. I felt the knife inside my waistband.

‘when do you get off?’ he asked, almost too quiet to hear.

‘why?’ I narrowed my eyes at him. My knife wouldn’t be much use against a gun.

‘Your life?’ he asked. I nodded and said.

‘Twelve, half an hour.’

‘Take me to a safe place,’ he mumbled and I headed back over to the bar.

I shuddered. What was he thinking? There were outsiders in this diner. He could have exposed both of us there and then. How did he know I was in? how did he know to speak to me? Luckily Isla was flipping through a magazine and was completely oblivious to her surroundings.

When my shift ended I headed out into the back parking lot. I watched the man pay for his coffee through the window and then he trudged out to meet me.

‘you can come to my place, its not far.’ I told him as he slid his hand up to the weapon in his jacket. It was a real risk him carrying that. We took off quickly, taking back alleys with few people until we reached the block.