Chapter VII - To Rebuild

28th June, 1889

I never imagined that sitting through my youngest sister's wedding would be torture. But unfortunately it feels like that is the only thing it's been. Of course, I'm happy for her - one day I'd love to be able to say I'm happily married to the man of my dreams and I never want anything to change. But when you're six-hundred years older than her, like I am, and still unable to marry the only one man I could think would be remotely suitable for me as a husband, it's made the day especially long.

I'm grateful that I get to witness the happy day, of course. I love a good wedding - who doesn't? They're such joyous occasions for many people, and when the couple are as handsome as my sister and her new love Tas, the day is just exceptionally beautiful. Much like Verity's wedding I've been made a bridesmaid, and though neither of us are Maid of Honour (she's given that to a friend I've never heard of), I'm happy to appear of some importance to the lady of the hour. I'd be fine not being front row to watch her marry a pretty werewolf, but it is nice to see it from right by her side.

Still, I can't deter this ill feeling in my stomach. I would put it down to the food, but I know that it's not the reason I feel dreadful. It's because I'm the oldest of three girls and still somehow the only one not married yet.

It's that reason that I've taken an early leave - even before the evening guests have begun arriving. I've said my goodbyes to the few people in the building that I actually care about, and have left in my full attire to find the nearest broadcast point, hood pulled up to hide my face and shoes thrown in the waste bin on the way out. It's dangerous I know, but I find walking barefoot much better when I'm in a rush.

I shouldn't really be using broadcasters to get me anywhere, especially when all of them are vampires. It's not against the law but if Sabine or Mummy were to find out, I'd be shunned. I only do it because I'm in a hurry, and I don't want to waste any more time. The fact that it took my baby sister's wedding to give me this push just proves that I'm an idiot, and have been for some time.

"Can you take me to Paris?" I ask the handsome stranger, not even bothering with a greeting when I appear in front of him, but I'm definitely a little short of breath.

He's not got a patch on Harry but he certainly isn't unappealing. He looks me over, clearly amused since I'm hardly dressed down, and I can only really tell by the little tilt of his lips. "You can but it'll cost you."

I frown a little but nod furiously. "That's okay. What do I owe you?"

He grins proudly. "A night with me."

I lower my head a little in disbelief. "Are you serious? I'm not spending a night with you, Archfiend."

His amusement vanishes at the term I call him, and in the dark I think I see a flash of red in his eyes. I wonder if I've imagined it but he's clenched his jaw in irritation. "Then you pay the full price, Carline."

No one has used the name 'Carline' on me in a very long time. It surprises me somewhat, especially coming from an immortal such as himself. They're usually a little less nasty, but then again I suppose I used the equivalent of a bastard for their kind.

"That's fine, just tell me your price."

"Forty shillings."

My mouth drops. "That's two pounds."

"Oh, a woman who can do her maths." He jokes cruelly.

I draw out a long breath, feeling a fire creep through my body as anger sets. I pull the glove off my left hand, ignoring the red glow and press it to the back of his head. "May I remind you Ambrose, that I'm probably twice your age and can do far more to your mental stability with my left hand than you could ever do to me with your silly teeth."