Savage Hearts: Chapter two

Storm's POV

                    The carriage came to a halt in front of the palace, it was pleasing to the sight for my mother. She fanned herself faster as she gave a toothy smile out the window. I gaped at her reaction, I've never seen my mother smile, not once. Not a real one, anyway.

                          I wouldn't like to live in something so giant, I'd much rather like a small cottage. Apparently that wouldn't be happening too soon, my mother had her mind set on me marrying someone wealthy. I would have to say goodbye to my cottage idea if this night went successful for her.

                       I took a deep intake of air and readied myself to step out of the carriage. I didn't want to go, my heart was fluttering and I felt my nerves go wild. I didn't need a husband, and I didn't want one, but with being forced, there's nothing that I can do. It felt as if my rib cage were frozen and my heart was trying to thaw its way out. I could feel all my hopes of leaving the castle tonight with freedom, there were suitors everywhere. Walking up the stone pavement, stepping out of carriages, observing the fine scenery. I felt my face go void of emotion and go pale. I fanned myself faster.

                       "If tonight goes good, you will have a worthy suitor that won't suspect you are a peasant." My mother stated in a pleasant tone. I know. I sighed and nodded, not once glancing at her face. There would be a cold smile on it. Both carriage doors swung open as I was greeted with the chilly air of October, and a handsome man. He bowed as I fanned myself. Giving him a smile, I looked at my mother. She was already stepping out of the carriage, ignoring the man at her side.

                          My smile faded, noticing that I would get scolded if she found me making friends with the footman. I looked down, fanning myself quicker, and slowly stepped out of the carriage. I heard my blood red slippers make a clack sound, and I braced myself. I would have to be very discreet with the noise of my slippers. Mother had told me that when slippers make enough noise for people to turn and grace us with a glance, it was too much noise. Too much attention. Easy to point out a peasant from a crowd full of well doing villagers.

                               I winced and continued to walk among the pavement next to my mother, walking more gentle. They had still made noise, but not enough to get us excluded from all of the activity. I kept the gentle smile on my face, feeling a smooth breeze grace my neck and ears. We did not get many stares, we were average after all, but I was still a bit blue. No matter how many stares we would receive, my mother would never let me leave without a suitor. Never.

                         "You are only as beautiful as you feel. Enough with that pale face of yours, you are to find a suitor this evening, no excuses." Mother muttered, making me grin wider, a fake grin. She scowled. When walking up the stone steps, many heads turned to my bright red dress, an odd color on a seventeen year old. Usually we wear beige or white, my mother was making me known to suitors.

                        Truth be told, I was past overdue on my suitors age. I was suppose to have a betrothed at age fourteen, maybe even younger. I would agree, yes, my mother did give me time. I just didn't use my time wisely. I should have ran when I could have, I tried. Maybe if I hadn't seen that terrifying beast that still gives me shivers whenever the thought comes up, then I would have been long gone. I wouldn't be here, looking for a suitor. I wouldn't have had to endure that hairbrush that my mother was so forcefully brushing through my thick curls just hours before. I wouldn't be in this red ball gown that separated me from the crowd of beige and blue ballgowns.

                    I would be free. I will be free.
                As we strolled up the pavement a familiar feeling raked my brain. The feeling that I was being watched. I shivered and dragged my two feet up the stone stairs, one by one. I felt as if I were walking into my own death sentence. I glanced at my mother, seeking comfort, but only received a cold look. I sighed.

                     "Welcome, I hope you enjoy the ball. I know I will." A masculine voice whispered in my ear. I froze as my mother gave me a dissaproving look. I whipped my head around, only to find the stairway void of any people. They had all already gone inside. My mother grabbed my arm, sinking her nails into my skin, once again.

                        "Get a move on with it, we're going to be late because of you. They will start the announcement of suitors without us." She hissed in my ear. Her breath wasn't as close to my ear as the masculine voice. It wasn't her.

                        "I'm sorry mother, I won't slow my pace again." I whispered. She let go of my arm and gave me one last cold look. Then we entered the grand hall, and her dazzling smile returned. Some people returned it, and some gave me a smile too. I gave them one as well, although I think that they could see through my facade.

                                 "Guests, from all over the kingdom, I welcome you." A booming voice bounced off of the walls. It wasn't the same voice that I had heard before. I shook my thoughts away and smiled, as the king greeted all of us. I had seen him before, he always rode his carriage throughout the village. His brown locks of hair, and the wrinkles at the edges of his warm brown eyes whenever he smiled, was enough to tell me that he was kind. I found comfort from this room, maybe it was because of the kings warm smile, maybe because of the desserts at the pastry table, or maybe it was because of the stranger at the other side of the room who wouldn't take his eyes off of me. We kept making eye contact.

                  His green eyes whispered a sweet sound to me. They whispered, I know you.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
HELLOOO MY SEXY UNICORNS!!!!!
IM KIND OF BACK, AND THE FIRST THING I SAW WHEN I LOOKED ON MY MESSAGE BOARD WAS "UPDATE THE BEAST!!" AND SO, HERE I AM!!!

I know its a short chapter, but I'm kinda struggling in life and I'm an asshole so....enjoy!  <3

READ

VOTE

COMMENT!!!!

QUESTION~ Why do you think the message that the stranger sent through his eyes was so comforting to Storm?