Ch 1// Fading Out

Mark woke up, pushing himself out of bed. "Last day," he groaned to himself, too tired to form an understandable sentence. What he meant was, it was his last day of eighth grade, of middle school entirely.

He picked a red flannel shirt from his closet, it matched his red hair, which, in return, complimented his deep brown eyes. He had dyed it a bit ago, not only to impress his friends, but to make himself feel cool. What else is school for, really?

He threw on his clothes, adding a pair of black skinny jeans and red converse. After brushing his teeth and combing his hair, he walked downstairs. His two fathers, Logan and Patton, were sitting at the kitchen table. A bowl of cereal was already made and waiting for him.

"Morning, Mark!" Patton said.

"Good morning." Logan said.

The two looked over as Mark, who sat down, starting to eat. "Any more?" Patton's voice was timid, looking up at his son. He sighed.

"Yeah. Couple on the legs this time." Mark pulled up his pant leg, revealing some scars and bruises, a few of which, were fresh.

They were from his soulmate.

You see, in this world, the person who you're perfect for, the person you're destined to be with, whether it's romantic or platonic, can see the injuries you get, and vice versa.

Mark's soulmate has been getting some bruises, they started around three months ago. They started out not too often, but they happen more and more frequently now, and they are usually fairly bad. Most of them are in places that make sense, places you can fall a lot.... he doesn't like to think about the other ones.

Mark and his soulmate have never met. At least, he doesn't think so. There are so many people in his school that have found each other, Mark has felt left out for a while. At least he's got Seán, though. His closest friend.

Mark sighed once more as he finished his breakfast. Logan looked uneasy, as he always did when the subject came up.

Mark placed his bowl in the sink, grabbed his book bag, and looked over at his parents.

"Have a nice day, Mark." Logan smiled.

"Be good!" Patton said, rather loudly.

He headed out the door and down the street, while his mind wandered to thoughts of his soulmate.

Who are they? Where could they be? Would they like him at first? What is their gender? When were they destined to meet?

So many questions raced through Mark's head, he often found himself drifting off and wondering about him. He had always wanted to meet his soulmate, constantly searching for that special someone. All he really wanted was a stable love life.

But, of course, he knew the risks and the seriousness of falling for someone. The promises he would have to keep, the hurt the two would have to endure to become close and trusting. But he was willing to do it all, he really was.

~ethans pov~

ethan awoke to an aggressive beeping from his alarm clock. another day, same old bullshit, he thought to himself as he climbed out of his small, rickety bed and started to make his way towards the bathroom expanding off of his room. he aproached the bathroom mirror and ran a brush through his blue mangled net of hair.

ugly ass, why can't i look better?

why cant i look normal? be normal?

why can't i...

he shook the unformed thought out of his head as he downed his medicine. he threw on a Leona Ridge Middle School shirt, and his favorite hoodie on over it. the boy grabbed his crutch, walked out of his house silently, and made his way to the bus stop.