RED WOODS - chapter 9

=Chapter 9=

     I was terrified, but for a moment I could not gaze away from what is happening. The Jackals were breaking one after another by the wolf. Hurting each other. The air was filled with growling, whining, plaintive wail... But most felt the energy. I did not know what it is, but electrifying the air. As I watched, not even noticed how much I clung to the tree. My knuckles were white and my fingers were sore. The tears just streamed down my face. There were no sobs. They fell just one after another. I was afraid for myself and for Kahlan. No matter whether he is human or not. He's trying to protect me. Take care of me in the woods. He made me company when I was alone.

     The tension too much for me. Before my eyes danced black dots. I began to feel dizzy and my knees softened. I fainted. I sound like a fool, but no sane person cannot handle this pressure.

      I'm not sure if I was in that condition minutes or hours. I only know that I was warm and cozy. This seemed odd, given that I was in the woods. I moaned and opened my eyes slowly. Oh! My head was resting on the Kahlan's chest. He held me in his arms while sitting next to the tree where I was hiding. He was bleeding, but he did not care much. He held me carefully. He stroked my hair. There was something else. He shivered. Definitely was not cold, because he was so hot, it seems as though burned.

     I looked up to look at him.

-What is it? What happened?

-Nothing, little one. They are gone.

-You're hurt! My God! – I tried to get away from him, but he would not let me.

-I'm okay! Do not worry about me. I... - He looked down.

     He was ashamed of something. I was not sure. But I remembered. The wolf!

-You are the wolf! I... I saw...

-Yeah... You saw me. I... I did not you to know... This is...

-Unusual? Incredible? Definitely. Tell me... How could you close to me as a wolf, but to tolerate my bad behavior as a human?

-I could not bear to stay away from you no matter how angry you are. Trust me... I don't understand why.

     I laughed. He is right. I noticed that he behaves oddly to me without good reason. Well, it is not very easy to win me even though I already liked him. Of course, I cannot deny that a little frightened me his true self. He was a wolf. Although he is very nice to me, he was still a wild animal. If he feels in danger he will go to attack. I knew that.

     Slowly I began to stand. This surprised him, but I felt weird. I felt cool being away from him, but it was better. In the end, I do not know him well. He was a friend of my brother and so had to stay. For this I tried to look as serious.

-Can you just get me home? It's cold, and soon will be dark. I do not want Hunter to be worried about me. You'll be surprised how jealous brother he is.

-So you both are close?

-Well, yes. Although he does not carry the same blood.

     The words shocked him and he cannot manage to keep his expression.

-What do you mean? Why do not carry the same blood?

-Well, you have to ask him. But I'll only say that for me he does not matter. I will always love him.

     Maybe I should not have to tell him. I'm not sure. I don't know if my brother will let me angry that I mentioned that. Well, I'm a fool... This, of course, spoils my mood. I became sad. I waited for him to get up. Then I went to the car. Suddenly my enamored with him surprised him. His face showed that worried him. I got into the car and waited for him to get dressed in the clothes that he wore as a spare. I watched him in the rearview mirror and the view definitely was good. He was muscular and damn sexy. Kahlan knew because I saw he looked at me and smiling. I blushed from embarrassment.

     He got in his car and drove off.

Kahlan's POV

     I felt weird when I held her in my arms. I felt... right. I felt good. I heard her calm breathing. That calmed me down after the battle. Of course, I took care of the bodies of the damned jackals. I knew I had to tell about it. These attacks began to frequent. People would start digging where they shouldn't. For me it was not a problem that I was attacked. I'm not a moron who cannot cope with the number of such carrion. But they threatened her. It made me crazy. I could have killed many more. But now I was calmed down. Holding her in my arms, I felt better.

     Drea was awake. Initially she adopted my nature normally. Then she becomes cold. And when she said that Hunter was not her real brother... I don't know why it bothered me. I felt like I have to defend my territory. I don't know how I can stand if there have another man around her. While I thought that he is her brother was all right. But now I'll think just how he looked at her during the day and night. How he hugged her, even brotherly. Damn! Where did this jealousy come from?

     She got into the car without a word. But I said nothing too. I left her there to warm while I take out the spare clothes that usually wear in the trunk of my car. Before I had not this habit, but when you wake up naked in the woods with blood on him and torn clothes... Things change. Not that this is a problem for my family. We are all wolves in one pack. The truth is that many residents of the city and its surroundings are like us. Maybe two quarters of the population. For now we guarded the secret well. There were only a few carefully selected people who we trust that secret. Well, yes! I screwed up. Drea saw me. But for some reason I knew she would not betray me.

     So... Where was I? Ah, yes... As I dress, I noticed that she was looking at me in the rearview mirror. What she saw... she liked it. I could not help but smile contentedly, and she saw me. She was embarrassed. I was very happy that she still be interested in me. Only if my friends hear me... I, who am always serious and does not go out with any woman my way..., I'm head over heels crushing this girl and frankly I do not mind. She hardly knows how beautiful and sexy. But for me she was just... perfect.

Drea's POV

     When I got home I went immediately to my room. I took off my clothes and stepped into the shower. I left the water running down me and wash away the fear of the experience. But I could not stop thinking about Kahlan. The memories were stuck in my mind. I touch the places where he had touched me. No dirty thoughts, of course. Well, not much.

     I stopped the water and dried with my favorite red towel. I wrapped myself with it and walked out of the bathroom. I got dressed and went downstairs. It was time for dinner. I was surprised to see that my whole family is there. Even Megan. They embark on a live chat. Discussed the attacks. Incidentally I learned that my father deals with investigations on unusual cases. It becomes clear to me what it was about and I was worried. I said nothing.  Never showed it. Just listening to what information a media and investigators have. I heard nothing interesting because I already know what it is.

     I ate quickly. I was tired of too many events that took place. I tried to sleep, but it was difficult since my brother crept up to me to talk.

-You were with Kahlan, right?

-Yes.

-How did it go? He really likes you, I guess.

-I know that, Hunter. I... I did something.

-What did you do?

-Well, I told him that you and I are not...

-We are not blood brother and sister? Sooner or later he would understand.

-You know, brother? I think he's jealous.

     He laughed. He kissed my forehead and left the room. And I... I was trapped in a blissful dream.