12

Months Later

Belly

Over the next few days, Daryl slowly started moving his things into Mia’s house. He hadn’t realized he was doing it until he came back to the group’s house and noticed all his things weren’t there anymore. Everyone had expected it considering he and Mia were having a baby.

After their talk days earlier, Daryl was handling the idea of having a baby much better and Mia caught him glancing at her stomach sometimes and other times, she would wake up to see him moving his hand up and down her stomach. She never moved or gave him any indication that she knew what he was doing otherwise he might stop doing it and she loved it too much to allow it to stop.

Spencer finally backed off but he continued giving the two of them dirty looks whenever he saw them. But as the months passed and Mia had moved past the nausea, exhaustion and general discomfort, she couldn’t care less about what Spencer thought.

“Daryl, aren’t you and Aaron supposed to be focusing on recruiting new people?”

Mia chuckled as she sorted through the baby clothes Daryl had brought back from his last trip with Aaron. He’d brought an entire duffel bag filled with clothes, shoes, bottles, and various toys. She held up a pair of booties and grinned, “Although, I can’t get enough of these things. Look at how tiny these are!”

Don’t really know what I grabbed,”

Daryl said, picking up a teething ring,

Just cleared out shelves and grabbed whatever could fit. When I’ve got time, I’ll look for a crib.”

“We might have one lying around,”

Mia said, “I don’t want you leaving here too much. I get so worried when you go out there.”

“We need people,”

Daryl countered, placing his hand on her slightly rounded stomach,

“And the little one needs supplies. He or she ain’t gonna wait forever.”

It’s gonna be another five months before we have to worry about that,”

Mia said, “Just try and keep the runs to a minimum, okay? Please?”

Daryl sighed heavily, “Alright, alright. So, how’s the little one doing, anyway? Hangin’ in there?”

“I’ve started feeling little flutters,”

Mia replied,

“Nothing that you can feel from the outside but I’m pretty sure he or she is trying to let us know they’re here.”

Daryl looked back at all the clothes Mia had laid out on the coffee table and he started fidgeting, tucking his hands under his arms, “Think I’ll be a decent dad?”

It’s not always gonna be easy,”

Mia said,

“But I think you’ll be an amazing dad. I heard how you were when Judith was born. You’re a natural. Why do you ask that?”

I just…I don’t…”

Daryl took a deep breath, “I don’t even know what being a dad is. Only thing mine was ever good for was teachin’ me to hunt and knockin’ me from room to room.”

“Daryl,”

Mia said, wrapping her arms around his shoulders to kiss his cheek, “You’re gonna be a much better father than your father was. This little baby has so much love from their daddy waiting for them and they’re not even born yet. Would your dad have done all of the things you’re doing now?”

“No, probably not,” he muttered, “So, you trust me?”

Mia nodded, “The things your dad did, it’s not hereditary. You’re nothing like him. If I thought for even a moment that you would hurt me or this baby, I wouldn’t have you here with me. I know the kind of person you are.”

Daryl scoffed, his cheeks turning a little pink as he turned away, “Yeah. We’ll see.”

Don’t be so hard on yourself,”

Mia said, “I’ve never been so sure of anything, Daryl.”

He would never get used to how kind and gentle Mia was. He could never get how she just had an answer for everything. How could she be so sure of everything all the time? Especially when it came to him. What if he was the worst thing that could ever happen to her or their baby? All he wanted was for them to be happy and safe but what if he couldn’t do that? What if he wanted these things too badly and it would all be ripped away from him?

Daryl,”

Mia said, breaking his train of thought. She reached out and grabbed his hand, placing it back on her belly,

“I can’t promise it’ll be great all the time but I can promise that you’re never gonna love anything as much as this little person.”

Daryl opened his mouth to say something but stopped himself. He wanted so desperately to tell her how much he loved her but he couldn’t find the courage. He cracked a smile, rubbing small circles into her belly but kept his mouth shut.

“Well, I’m gonna go put this stuff away and then lie down for a while,”

Mia said, grunting as she pushed herself off the couch. Gathering all the clothes and supplies back into the bag, she smiled at Daryl over her shoulder,

“Thank you for all this. You should get some rest too. It’s been a long day.”

Daryl gave Mia a nod and she threw the bag over her shoulder, heading for the staircase. Daryl’s heart pounded against his chest as he watched her go. He had to say it sometime, right? Why the hell did he have to be afraid all the time?

“Mia,”

he said. She had taken one step up the stairs before stopping and looking back at him. He stood up from the couch, tucking his hands into his pockets. It felt like his throat had closed and he couldn’t breathe. But she deserved to hear it. He hadn’t really said a lot of nice things to her when she had nothing but nice things to say.

“I just um, I wanted to say that…”

Daryl muttered,

That I…I…I um…might be too soon to say but…but I…”

Mia smiled, “Daryl.”

“Yeah?”

“I love you too.”

“Always savin’ my ass.”

“Even the toughest people need a little help sometimes,”

Mia said, “Don’t need to be afraid anymore, Daryl.”