Chapter 2: A Walk

"You guys didn't pick the best night to wear close to nothing did y'all?" teased Ryan. His voice saying those words made me want to punch him in the throat. I understand I wasn't wearing the most modest thing in the world, but I'd have to say that it was a heck of a lot better than what Crystal was wearing.

Okay, I lied. And I have to admit that I was freezing my butt off.

"So, we're walking to the store right? Well which one? Cause if a brother is going to be honest, I'm starving," Greyson said.

"Are y'all hungry?" Ryan asked Crystal and I. We looked at each other and nodded, and with that, we were off to McDonald's.

We all sat in a little booth, and honestly things were a little tight. I wasn't complaining though, I was sitting on the side with Greyson, and he smelt good. I know what you're thinking: why the heck would she be sniffing him? But I'm not "sniffing" him, I can simply smell him from where I'm sitting.

As we ate we conversed. Crystal and Ryan were talking about how the leaves look on the ground at the beginning of fall, and Greyson and I were making small talk. I was nervous.

And it was showing.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, why?" I asked back inquisitively. His voice almost seemed agitated, and I was afraid I had blown my only chance of ever being friends with him.

"I don't know, almost seems as if you aren't interested and," he stopped like he was frightened he almost said something he'd regret.

 I paused before saying anything or asking him what he was going to say. Did I really want to know? "And what?" I asked, my tone barely audible.

"And," he paused almost like he was trying to gather his thoughts, "I don't want this night to be a waste."

Now, that. That hit me hard because I most definitely didn't want to waste his time.

I looked into his eyes unsure of what to say. His words caught me by surprise,and my mind was racing.

I almost felt pathetic. I looked down at my unfinished 10 piece chicken nugget meal. "I don't mean for you to feel like you're wasting your time. I have trouble talking to people I don't know all that well."

He chuckled and turned my face so he could look at me while he was speaking, "Amber-Lynn, you know me. Your brother and I have been friends for 4 years. I've spent the night at your house countless times."

And it was true, he had been over to my house, but we never really talked. "I guess you're right." And with that, I finished my chicken nuggets despite the fact that I wasn't all that hungry. We sat in silence until Ryan and Crystal were ready to go.

"Ryan and I are going down to the park," Crystal said standing up from the table. Then they were gone.

Greyson and I stood up from the booth and walked towards the door. When we got there, he held the door open for me. I'm not sure why that put a smile on my face, but it did. And he noticed it.

"So where do you want to go?" he asked once we were outside  in the windy, fall air.

"Anywhere is fine with me. Let's just walk and see where we go?" I asked hoping he wouldn't ask again. I don't like making decisions.

He let out another one of his cute short laughs. "Sounds like a good idea. Come up with that all by yourself?" he teased, poking me on the arm.

"As a matter of fact, yes I did. I'm not as stupid as you think I am, Harrelson." I joked back.

"Believe what you want to, Pennington."

We walked without a sound for a few minutes, and I kept my eyes on my feet as we walked. I was content with that, however. The less we talked, the more comfortable I was. Something about the silence was blissful. I looked over at him and studied his facial expression. 

"Can I ask you something?" his words were smooth, but there was a hint of confusion behind them.

"Sure, what's up?"

"I've noticed that you've been talking to Keegan a lot lately," he paused for a moment, "and I was just wondering if there was going to be something serious between the two of you?"

"I'm not sure. I don't really know Keegan all that well." How did he even notice me and Keegan? "How are you and Janelle?

"I guess we're fine."

"How'd you know about me and Keegan?"

"Um...I see you two in the hall sometimes. I saw him try to give you his letterman jacket."

I giggled because I remembered Keegan basically forcing me into the jacket after I insisted I wasn't cold. He told me the jacket looked good on me, so I wore it the rest of the day.

"Well, I don't know if it'll be something serious. But you never know." I started thinking about whether or not I'd want things to get serious between Keegan and I. Then it hit me.

I stopped dead in my tracks. "You never saw me and Keegan in the hallways. My brother wanted to know, didn't he?"

____________________________________________________________________________

Okay, so I know it isn't all that exciting. Pretty soon things will start to pick up, I promise. Like pinky promise, promise. I hope if any of you don't like anything or can come up with a way to help me improve my writing, that you won't hold back on telling me :) Hopefully I'll start to upload more frequently than I did this last time, but I'm writing as I go. Anyways, take care.

-Tay