The watch

The leaves crunched under my foot as I walked through the dark forest. A twig snapped to my left, I swung around. There was nothing but quite, I bent down and unsheathed the knife from my boot.

 The wind suddenly changed directions as I slowly stood. My mind wrapped around how the wind changed.

Calm down. I thought to myself.

Chill the freak out.

Freaking out right now was not a possibility. Killing myself that is what I will be doing if I freak out. I will die. I won’t die. Not today.

The snapping of a twig drew me out of my thoughts. I swung around to my right where I heard it. Just sitting there. Looking at me. Staring. It won’t stop staring.

A wolf. The wolf. Pitch black, with a white streak down its back. Its dark green eyes boring into my own. I stare back with my dark purple.

Its eyes look away for a second to look at the knife in my hand. Yipping it turns and runs away.

“Wait.” I yell.

It turns for a second, its eyes shining with regret, before running back into the woods.  

I watch unable to stop the wolf. I stand there, watching, long after it’s gone. Sighing I turned to leave the woods.  Even though I had just moved here five days ago I had already memorized the forest.

The way it sounds, the rocks, the way the wind sounds shifting through the trees. Everything. I love the woods, there my sanctuary. They help me clear my thoughts, get me away from my mother.

I don’t think I would live if she moved me someplace that didn’t have a forest nearby.

Stopping at the backdoor I think about what my life would be if I had to live in the city with my father.

No. stop it don’t think like that.

Pushing the door open I make my way up to my new room. Spending so much time in the forest has made it impossible to unpack my things. It wasn’t like I had a lot of stuff, considering I moved around so much.

 A bed, clothes, laptop, desk. It’s all I have ever needed. That and the woods.

Ugh school tomorrow. I thought.

The summer break was finally over. I hated summer. The hot, stickiness, of summer always made me feel miserable. Finally fall. And unfortunately school.   

Sighing I decided I needed sleep and plopped down on my bed. Nodding off was one thing, but I full on just fell into a dark black sleep.