Chapter 5

I rested my chin on my knuckles, hissing under my breath as I jabbed a sore spot. Nice going Dad, I thought to myself. Why couldn't you have punched me any where else?

I had forgotten what it was like, you know? To not be sore on every inch of my body. To not have to worry about making dad mad. That was something I hadn't seen in what may have been over a million years. I had forgotten what it was like, to not go home afraid. But most of all, I had forgotten what it was like, to be loved- to have a family.

"Rylie, we're here," Ryder spoke. I snapped out of my thoughts, only to realize we were. I looked up at Ryder, only able to make out his eyes. They looked, for some reason, just a bit softer.

"Um thank you Beastie. I guess I'll catch you later," I bid my goodbye as I got out the car.

I heard some rustling, before seeing a bag, "Aren't you taking your movies?" he asked. I had almost completely forgotten the movies, but I took them, sending him a smile.

"Goodnight Ryder," I shut the door.

He smiled at me, rolling down the window a bit, "Goodnight princess. Keep safe."

Right, because that was completely possible inside my own home. I wondered what anyone would do if they found out about my father. Would they call the police? Probably not. My dad was a cop after all. Would they help me escape? Most likely they wouldn't. My dad was a cop after all. That left no other options for me.

I nodded reluctantly, "I'll try," I told him. No promises, though.

And with that I watched as he sped home. I turned and walked into my house, bracing myself for what was about to come.

It was still light outside, though not as much as before. Yet, there slept my dad, passed out on the floor. My eyes widened in disbelief as I quietly shut the door. I ran up the stairs, before my dad could wake up.

I gingerly took the movies out of my hands, and saw that there sat 7 movies. The four Ace had picked out, and three extra. Ryder must have forgotten to take them out, I decided. I would give them to him tomorrow.

I still looked at the titles of all the movies. I had: The Corpse Bride, Fast & the Furious, Hours, and Daddy Day Care-courtesy of Ace.

I looked over at what Ryder had picked: The Game Plan, A Walk to Remember, and I Am Legend. Surprisingly, they looked even more interesting than Ace's picks.

Alas, I decided to watch Daddy Day Care, from start to finish. After the movie ended, I shut my TV off and killed the lights. I mumbled sleepily to myself, "What-" yawn" -was the moral of the movie?"

My mothers angelic face flashed before my eyes, and I smiled as I saw it, wishing it would stay there forever.

"If you can dream it, you can achieve it," I mumbled into my pillow. And then, it was lights out for me.

.................................................................................

My jaw still felt a bit strange the next morning, but compared to the very few beatings I received yesterday, I felt amazing. My body wasn't as sore as it usually was. And for that I was grateful. Surprisingly, I had Ryder and Ace to thank.

Once I got to school, I made sure I was there a few minutes early. I got to my seat-receiving an impressed look from Mrs. Simoine. I smiled, before writing a note to Ryder.

I think you forgot to take these. They look interesting, even more than Ace's choices. (Don't tell him I said that) But thank you for yesterday. Although it may not seem like it, yesterday was one of the...easiest? No..nicest? No... Funnest? Yeah. It was nice to get away from everything. Don't let that get to your head Beastie. You're still an ass. ~Rylie