12

- 12 -

- 12 -

"Cram, Elora." Professor Sprout calls my name as Kelby exits her office, shooting me a smile as he leaves. "Come on in dear, take a seat and we'll get started." I settle into the comfy armchair across from the desk. "Now, the purpose of this meeting is to discuss what your plans for the future are, and the grades and classes you'll need in order to continue." She pauses before looking at me slowly, "Do you have any idea of what that might be?"

"I did actually, I thought I might follow in the footsteps of my guardian and become a healer?" I felt my hand twisting my hair around it, worried Professor Sprout wouldn't believe I was good enough to be a healer.

"Excellent! A very promising career indeed!" She exclaimed, clasping her hands together loudly in front of her. I can't help but grin at her. "In order to become a healer, you'll need to take Herbology, Transfiguration, Potions, Charms and Defense at N.E.W.T level. In order to do that you'll need to achieve at least an Exceeds Expectations in each of those during your O.W.L.s." She glances down at what I can only assume are my past grades before continuing. "If your past grades have anything to say about that then you shouldn't have any issues achieving those marks, except possibly in Transfiguration." I grimaced back at her, knowing full well just how rocky my results were in that subject. Some years I did fine, however, every now and then I just couldn't get my head around it all.

"I'll do my best Professor, thank you." Before I could excuse myself she smiled softly at me and continued.

"You're a smart girl, Miss Cram, I'm almost positive you'll succeed." I nod to her, slightly more confident in my abilities. As I rise to my feet her eyebrows furrow. "Miss Cram I am aware of your conversation with Professor Lupin and hope you know I am happy to answer any qu-"

"I'm okay Professor, really." I cut her off, sending her a smile that I hoped would show her I wasn't lying. And for the first time I wasn't, I believe I have finally made my peace with it all. Sure, I wasn't going to go shout it from the rooftops\, and I wasn't going to change my name anytime soon. But I had accepted I wasn't going to be whisked away to some perfect life with the perfect family. My life was complicated, and it always had been. What's one mass-murdering Uncle gonna do to change that?

*

A week before my exams I sat with Hermione in the library, it having become a tradition as she was the only person in my life right now who didn't use any excuse to stop me from studying. Anthony always seemed to go on a 'walk', while the boys' idea of studying was reading over their notes for half an hour before rewarding themselves with an hour of relaxation. Then there was Fred and George who had made it their mission to involve me in pranks, despite my attempts to distance myself from them in order to keep Anthony happy.

While Harry and Ron had chosen to spend their time in the library with Hermione this afternoon, it seemed like neither of them would be getting any work done. They were, however, more considerate than others when it came to disturbing Hermione and my studying. My head was pounding as I once again attempted to understand the vanishing spell however after an hour of practising it over and over again, I thought I might explode.