Chapter 14

George and Alex had been going steady in their cute way.
They had mutually decided that relationships and labels were way too complicated, and instead settled for just existing.
That was enough.
Just being together, and caring for each other, meant more than any official names could ever.

They had gone out to a park where they fed the ducks, an activity that delighted Alex every time, and amused George to watch Alex' joy at the birds.

"Gee! Look at that one! Aww it's so cute I want to take it home and cuddle it and love it-"

"Okay Lex," George cut him off with a chuckle, "You can't take any ducks home."

"But I wannaaaa," Alex whined pitifully.

George shook his head in exasperation, but couldn't help smiling at his childish flatmate. He was very cute; even when he was being an idiot.
George wrapped his arms gently around Alex' waist from behind, burying his face in the back of Alex' neck.

"What are you doing, Gee?"

"Affection you twat."

Alex continued to feed the ducks until he ran out of seeds, then let George lead him to a bench where they sat, looking out over the small lake.

A/N only feed ducks seeds and bird food. Bread, especially white bread, is very bad for them and means their wings don't develop properly.

It was a beautiful day, birds singing their high fluting songs in the trees, that swished calmly in the light autumn breeze.
The weather was perfect; not so hot that it was uncomfortable, but warm enough that they didn't need coats.
George wore a simple long sleeved top, but Alex had stolen one of George's hoodies. It was too big for him so was quite baggy, but that meant he could hide his hands in the sleeves to make adorable sweater paws.
George wouldn't admit it, but he loved Alex wearing his clothes, especially when they were too big for him. He just looked so cuddly and soft.

George wrapped his arm around Alex, who snuggled warmly into his side, resting his head lightly on George's chest.

Neither man noticed the girl secretly snapping a photo of the pair, fangirling frantically.

————————————

"George." Alex' voice was sharp and urgent.
"George you need to see this."

"What's up?" George noted the tone in Alex' voice, and immediately felt a wave of concern wash over him.

"I keep getting tagged in this photo." Said Alex darkly, turning his laptop round so George could see the screen.

It was a picture of the two of them sitting on the bench in the park, George with his arm around Alex, and Alex clearly snuggled into his side.

The caption read:

@imallexx has a secret boyfriend?? Does anyone know who this is?

Comments and shares were rushing in, spreading the image to every fan page and app until there was no way an imallexx fan could have missed it.

The crazy twitter stans were theorising, the creepy insta stans were gossiping, and all in all it was a complete and utter fiasco.

George buried his face in his hands.

"What the fuck are we going to do. This is a bloody nightmare."

"We could say it's one of my friends from school?" Alex suggested, but there was no conviction in his voice.

"Yeah, because that's what 'school friends' do. Clearly that is romantic, you'd have to be blind to think otherwise, and the fans clearly know that." George sounded completely defeated.

"Well what do we do then?" Alex snapped.

"I don't fucking know, do I? They don't know that it's me, but if it gets out, then that's my identity leaked as well! Don't you realise that this will ruin my anonymity much more than you worried about a little relationship. Everyone thinks I'm straight too! This is way worse for me, so shut the fuck up."

Alex blinked, momentarily stunned into silence. He hadn't realised that this could out George's sexuality and his identity. This was a much bigger deal than he'd realised.

"I'm sorry Lex, I didn't mean to get angry," George murmured, his voice quieter.
Alex smiled weakly at him.

"It's going to work out Gee, I promise."

He gently linked their pinkies together, squeezing reassuringly.

"I love you Alex," mumbled George, a little muffled as he'd buried his face into Alex' hoodie.
Well, technically it was his hoodie, but Alex had claimed it.

"You what?" Said Alex in complete shock.

"I.. uh.." George panicked, not meaning to accidentally declare love for his flatmate, who he wasn't even technically dating.

"I love you too George," beamed Alex, cupping George's face in his hands and kissing him softly.
"I love you so much."

A/N
Credit for this idea goes to @Lolagracee23, thank you so much :)
I know it's been ages since I updated, so sorry, I've been trying to get college work on track.
I've also been going through previous chapters and correcting some punctuation and spelling errors.
Thank you for reading as always, it really does mean so much to me that people like this ♡

word count 851