Chapter 2

Elysia

The forest air swept around my body as I was pulled forward harshly, the iron chains clanging loudly. 

The night was not quiet.

Thousands of muffled footsteps echoed across the dusty floor. And occasional yelps and shouts could be heard as a few brave souls tried desperately to pull away, only to be smacked or hit by the guards restraining them.

It was nighttime, and as the piece of cloth covering my eyes was finally removed, I gasped at the sight before me. 

We were standing in front of the Luna Forest, a place where I used to go as a kid to play.

It was not close to our small village, yet still accessible by horse-drawn wagons or carriages. 

It is said that the forest was enchanted by the Moon Goddess, though there were not enough proof to bring out the fact. 

It is now just a tale that parents tell their children, to make them feel protected when playing outside. 

I gazed longingly at the open grass clearing not far away.

I had remembered the time where I had come here for a small picnic with my friends from the village.

It was a beautiful day, and as the sun showed high, I felt the urge to climb a tree. 

It was gigantic and beautiful, and as my worried parents called for me to come down, one of the branches snapped, leaving me tumbling to the ground. 

I got up and laughed, surprised that I felt little to no pain, falling 30 feet from the sky into the soft dirt. 

Tears wedded in my eyes as I recalled the memory. 

Will I be able to experience that kind of joy again? 

I jumped as a voice echoed across the trees, my back stiff from walking, struggling against my restraints. 

"What's happening?" I asked one of the guards, only to be ignored. He took out a key and started to unclip the chains we were bonded in.

Thousands of clinging and clinking sounds were heard and echoed all around. The small hooting noises from the trees dying down as the owls realized that they were not the only occupants in this forest tonight. 

As soon as my hands were gruffly unclipped from the chains, and my feet free from the bindings, I slumped forward, falling onto the ground with a pained yelp.  

I look beside me and noticed that all the other captives have too, stayed put. Though a few had actually started running to the trees as soon as they were let free. 

The guards either not paying attention, or not caring.

I was rooted in place, my heels digging into the gravel.

The emotional side of me wanted to run, run far away from whatever the hell was going to happen.

But the logical side of me decided to stay put. Drawing the conclusion that even if I did run, the Werewolfs, with their strength and intelligence, can easily catch me.  

When the last victim was released. 

An alarm sounded off on one of the guard's watch. Making us all jump.

The man dressed in a plain black shirt and jeans let out a loud 'tsk', before clicking a mechanism, muffling the noise.

"Listen up ladies." growled the wolf, snapping back his teeth and crunching up his nose, his rough voice obediently silencing the crowd.