Chapter 10

As Serena got ready for college, she couldn't help but think about the changes in her life. It seemed so long ago that she only thought of culinary school as a dream yet there she was. Not only did she get into one of the finest culinary schools in the Philippines, she got in as a scholar.

Her parents were so proud. They went to great lengths to show how proud they were of her. Plus, they kept telling her repeatedly that made it hard to miss. When once they hardly complimented her for anything she had achieved, they'd noticed and praised her for even the smallest things like keeping the kitchen orderly and clean.

And then there's Eli. Serena felt giddy, just thinking about him.

She wanted to tell the girls about the recent progress of her relationship with him. She really did. But she figured the news was ill-timed. Joy was hurting over her breakup with Daniel.

Their relationship ended when Daniel had to go back to L.A. but that wasn't the news that shook her world. Shortly after Daniel left, Joy found out she was pregnant.

It went without saying that the backpacking trip no longer pushed through. It wasn't safe for a pregnant girl to go chasing waterfalls. Literally. That's why instead of shopping for swimsuits, Serena had dragged Nat to go window shopping for baby stuff.

Window shopping and to finally wheedle some news from the one friend who would not break down when asked about the breakup.

She'd been so out of the loop, having gotten so used to her routine with Eli, she wasn't hanging around much with the girls anymore.

"Daniel had to return for school," Nat began, stirring her tea. "He promised he would be back on Valentine's Day but didn't. Joy was devastated after that. She accused him of not taking their relationship seriously and started ignoring him."

"So there was no break up..." She felt more confused than before she asked.

"Yeah. Joy kinda started ghosting him." Nat went on. "What hurt the most according to Joy is that he wasn't thinking for the long haul. If he wasn't planning on a lasting relationship, he shouldn't have started one with her."

"But he's there to study. It's for his future," she asserted. "What happened when she told him about the baby?"

"That's the thing, he never even bothered to answer her."

"What a jerk!" Serena declared.

"I know," Nat said as she took a sip of her tea.

Serena couldn't believe that there was this side of Daniel. He didn't seem like an asshole when they met. But then again, she only spent time with him twice.

She was still thinking how she misjudged him so much when she heard her phone ping. Eli sent her a message.

Eli:

Having a small get together

You're invited

Serena:

Can't. Out with Nat

Eli:

Not right now, tonight

Take her with you, tell Joy to come along as well

I bet she'd love to see old classmates

Serena doubted that. She could just imagine the surprise on everyone's faces, including Eli's once they saw Joy. Outside Joy's family, only she and Nat knew about the pregnancy and she wouldn't dare tell anyone else, nor put Joy on the spot unnecessarily. It wasn't her story to tell.