14 ~ Matt

I awoke to the sensation of someone stroking my hair, long fingers gently combing, and the quiet murmur of a deep voice.

Blinking up through bleary eyes, I recognized Volkir's general outline—a wave of smooth blonde hair combed back, broad shoulders clothed in a blue silk shirt, a pale, aristocratic-looking face, and sharp, silvery-blue eyes.

I realized I was lying on the living-room couch with my head in his lap, and his sculpted lips drew back in a smile when he saw that I was awake.

"Sweet Matthew," he said, pale brows pinching with concern, "are you well? I come to have a simple conversation and find your door wide open, you lying unconscious and dressed only in your underthings, and no sign of your lover to be seen. Whatever happened, my friend?"

My vision now in focus, I tried to sit up, and he helped me with a hand at my back. I leaned forward, feeling a little dizzy, and rested my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands.

"I... I made a mistake. Again," I said, so upset with myself that my breath hitched. "Pete warned me, but I didn't listen. I just wanted to see what was in the box, and it wasn't a dybbuk—just like Pete said—it was something else, and then Pickles got mad and made me drop it, and—"

Volkir rested his hand on my back and I paused. Gently, he pulled me back, steadying me with an arm around my shoulders and inviting me to lean against his broad chest. I knew he was using his vampire powers to calm me down, but I was glad of it, and enjoyed the pleasant sensation I always felt when he was near.

Ari had once told me he always felt a little sick when Volkir got too close, like he was eating the world's most delicious chocolate but knew that it was poisoned, or like he was looking at a gorgeous painting and then realized it was painted in blood.

I didn't feel like that at all. To me, Volkir's presence felt like falling into clean, cool silk sheets at the end of an exhausting day and a hot bath. It was refreshing, relaxing, and reassuring. It was also, I had to admit, a little addicting. I hadn't seen Volkir in several months, and right now I felt like I was finally getting a cool drink of water after spending a day in the hot sun.

"Why don't you tell me from the beginning?" he said now, his voice low and soothing, and doing a lot to settle my frayed nerves. "I have nowhere else to be."

I sniffed and lifted the hem of my shirt to wipe my face, and then realized that I was still in my underwear.

"Maybe I ought to get dressed first," I said, suddenly extremely conscious of Volkir's hands on my skin and of his silvery gaze, and I remembered what Ari had told me about his father-in-law's penchant for seduction.

I'd never felt in danger from him in that way, but I doubted Ben would appreciate the visual if he happened to come home unexpectedly and found me practically in another man's arms after he'd barely been gone a day.

"If you wish," he said. "But at least assure me you are well enough, first."

"I think so," I answered. "I just got surprised and knocked unconscious by an evil spirit of some kind. Nothing serious."

"I see," Volkir intoned, and helped me to stand. "And this spirit is among the house's usual residents?"

"Oh no," I assured him. "It came in the mail earlier today."

Volkir stilled and then chuckled softly. "Among all the strange and wonderful things I have encountered in my long life, dear Matt, you may be the strangest and most wonderful of all."

I laughed and gave him a rueful smile. "You say the nicest things," I said, "but if that were true, then I'd really be in trouble."

He raised an elegant brow and followed me upstairs to my room, where I pulled on a pair of loose athletic pants, and then back down to the comfort of the sitting room. I got the feeling he was keeping a close eye on me, probably to make sure I didn't fall.