Chapter 5 - Katherine

Killer. That's his name. He kills people.

No. Killian's not a bad man. I should know. A bad man is someone like him, not like Killian.

But he still kills people.

But he does it for his family.

So what? A killer's a killer. No matter whom he does it for.

No, I'm not going to judge him for that. I don't know him enough to judge him.

I stay pondering over everything that happened today as I sit in the big bed, leaning my back against the headboard. Treasure said it's the same room her friend used to stay. I wish I met this friend. She seems like a great person. She doesn't even know me and she still let me wear her clothes, she was even fine with me taking her room.

I sigh tiredly, laying down in bed, then let the sleep consume me.

The whole night I keep tossing and turning, unable to sleep peacefully. Being in a foreign place does that to a person.

Even though the bed is beyond comfortable, I still wake up early, before dawn. It's a habit I got during my stay at that house with my mother and her... lover. I'd never call him my father like she wanted me to. Never.

Every night, at dawn, he'd come to my room and watch me sleep, sometimes touching my shoulder, my neck, my face or my legs. But with time, he got more daring, putting his hands on my chest or...

No! Don't go there!

I don't want to think about it.

Realizing that I won't be able to fall back asleep, I decide to take a shower, using the wall as support when my leg starts hurting as I walk. I wish I had some painkillers. I'm not good at enduring pain. I've always been fragile as my mother called it. Having weak body was the source of all the injuries I got during my whole childhood. The kids bullying me for not having my dad used to push me around and more often than not I ended up with fractured or broken bones. In both middle and high school I was bullied for being a nerd and made an outcast. I ended up in a hospital many times due to the beatings I got and after a while I couldn't keep using excuses like falling down the stairs or walking into a door. No one believed me anymore.

Yet even after the school found out about the bullying, they did nothing. So I had to change schools. But doing that in the middle of the semester wasn't easy. When I came to school on my first day with a cast on my arm and a bandage on my head, I was instantly picked at. Kids are ruthless. They made fun of me for being so weak and not too long after, I was bullied again. But this time I couldn't switch schools. There was no other school in the area and my mother refused to move because of me.

I think that's why my mother hated me. She hated having a weak child that she had to constantly take care of.

But I'm not the same little girl anymore. It's time to leave it all behind me. If my own mother doesn't want me, then so be it. I can live with that. My body may be weak, but my soul is not. I can't take physical pain, but I can take emotional one. Years of neglect and hate from the one person that was supposed to love me unconditionally hardened my mind and heart.

I glance at the brace on my leg, wondering if I can take a shower with it. It's quite futuristic-looking, made of some thick plastic with two Velcros around the calf that keep it steady. The material around the clasps seems waterproof, but I still decide to test that theory by splashing some water on it.

It just bounces off. Interesting. Guess taking a shower is okay.

I carefully undress, mindful of all the aching bruises on my body, then get in the glass cabin. I hesitate before using the fruit-scented body wash to clean my body. It's not mine, but I can't stay dirty, can I? I need to go shopping. I can't keep using someone else's things.

Once I'm finished with the short shower, I dress up in a simple band t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants, skipping underwear, cause I have none. The clothes are slightly bigger than what I usually wear, but they're comfortable and clean. The girl they belong to must be a bit taller and... curvier than me. As I searched for clothes, I found a bunch of bras and panties in one of the drawers, and considering the size of everything, the girl is built like a Victoria's Secret's model.

Good going, Kathie, now you sound like a creep.

I sigh heavily, thinking about what I should do now. It's barely 4 am and I'm already fully awake and have nothing to do. And I can't even walk properly without crutches or something to support myself with.

I slowly walk to the window, using the wall to keep myself from falling, then sit on the sill, staring at the view in front of me. This town is actually very pretty, especially at dawn. The woods slowly let the sunlight through, illuminating the area with a gorgeous golden glow. Compared to the city, this place is so much more peaceful. The emptiness, the lack of traffic, the nature surrounding this compound is so serene. I always wanted to live in some quiet little town, but I never thought I'd get the chance.

Not that I have one now.

I don't think I'll stay here after I'm all healed. I can't overstay my welcome.

As I watch the sunrise, I hear footsteps outside the room. They stop for a moment at my door then slowly fade as the person walks away. Who could it be at such an early hour?

They say curiosity killed the cat, but I've always been a curious person. So I do the only reasonable thing - I go to check it out.

Glancing at the corridor, I don't see anyone. So, again using the wall to steady myself, I descend the stairs to the bar-like room everyone was sitting at yesterday.

When I finally reach the floor, I take a quick look around, trying to see who woke up this early. I don't see anyone, but the front door is open, letting the morning breeze freshen up the room.

So, being the curious idiot I am, I go outside, only to catch the gorgeous sight of shirtless Killian smoking on the front porch, seemingly lost in thought. I stare at him for a while, having no words to say at the moment. Oh sweet Jesus, he's so hot!

"You shouldn't walk on that leg, Cupcake." Killian gruffly says, not even looking at me. For some reason, I don't like him being so... distant.

"I don't have crutches." I blurt out like an idiot, mentally face-palming. I was supposed to greet him!

"I'll get you some later." He's still not looking at me.

"Killian..." I stand next to him, not at all bothered by the smoke of his cigarette

"What is it, Cupcake?"

"I'm sorry about yesterday... And I want to thank you for taking care of me."

"Why does it sound like goodbye?" Killian suddenly turns to me with a worried frown, searching my eyes for an answer.

"It is. As soon as I'm healed, I'll leave. I can't use you or your friends like this." I admit, looking at the floor to avoid his inquisitive gaze.

"Yes, you can. – he sternly tells me, getting closer and towering over me. He puts two fingers under my chin to tilt my head so that I look him in the eye – You can stay here as long as you want. I'll take care of you as long as you want. You can use me as long as you want." His tone sounds desperate, filling me with a strange feeling and making the butterflies in my stomach go crazy. The vulnerability in his eyes is so heart-clenching that I can't help but want to please him however I can.

"Okay, okay." I give in. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to sound ungrateful or anything."

"Cupcake." Killian gives me a pleading look, but I have no idea what is it that he wants.

"Killian? What's wrong?"

He throws away his cigarette and pulls me into his arms, causing me to collide with his hard chest as he puts his head on mine. "Don't leave."