Chapter 20 - Katherine

I'm happily humming all the way to Iowa City, playing with Killian's fingers merrily. It's been forever since I last felt so happy, so elated, so carefree, and I can't help but let my happiness show.

I turn in my seat to stare at the handsome man beside me. He's so breathtaking. He's so big and strong but sweet and gentle at the same time. I can't get over how someone like me managed to get him, to have him fall in love with me, to have him be with me...

It's unreal.

Plain old me with a god. Because that's who he is – a god among mortals.

"I can feel you staring." Killian teases after a while, noticing me watching him.

"That's because I am staring. – I grin – You're so devilishly handsome I just can't take my eyes off you." I bravely confess, making him smirk smugly.

"Why do you have to say stuff like this while I'm driving, Cupcake?" He groans, exasperated, and I giggle at the cute frown on his face.

"Because then you can't do anything about it." I tease, hugging his arm. Killian only chuckles, shaking his head at me.

"You're so adorable." He turns his head briefly to smile at me in pure adoration.

"So are you." I reply, quickly leaning in to press a kiss to his cheek. I love this man.

We arrive to the restaurant I work at much too early for my taste, but I can't really complain. I agreed to arrange the catering, so who am I to whine...

"Do you want to maybe... come in? I don't want you to wait in the car..." I peer at Killian shyly.

"Of course I'm coming in, Cupcake. You're not getting rid of me anytime soon."

"Okay." I smile gratefully.

"Wait here." Killian instructs before getting out of the car and coming to my side to help me. Ever since he learned about my weak bones, he hasn't let me jump from anywhere. Killian is a big man, so both his bed and his car have to be huge to fit him, but for me – they're extremely tall and I have to pretty much jump to get off them.

But Killian hates it when I do that. He's worried that I'm going to break something. He's such a sweetheart.

Killian gently picks me up from the truck and sets me on the ground with a kiss to my forehead. I grab his hand and lock our fingers before walking to the restaurant. I need to talk to my workmate, Ian, to get everything ready.

But it's not him I'm worried about.

It's Ben.

I'm not sure I want to see him yet. Last time we spoke, he was really... mad at me and said some hurtful things. I hope he's not at work today, but I know I'm probably not lucky enough to avoid him.

"Hi Kate!" "Hey Kate!" "Hi!" I'm greeted by my Betty, Beatrice and Ian as soon as I step inside. They're such nice people.

"Hi guys!" I wave at them. "Ian, can I talk to you?"

Ian glances at Killian questioningly then nods at me. "Sure, let's go to the office. Betty, you good here?"

"Sure."

I turn to Killian. "Baby, can you wait here for me? Coffee's on me." I smile, getting a nod in response. Killian kisses my head then glares warningly at Ian before going to one of the tables.

"Your man sure is intense. I almost shat my pants when he glared at me." Ian chuckles once we're in our office. I only giggle at him.

"He sure is." I smile proudly, sitting down on the couch, with Ian on the one opposite to me.