Chapter 2 - Joining forces with the enemy

Ritsu pov:

"Uff!" I was thrown back into a tree and I coughed. "Ritsu! I'm sorry! Are you alright?!" Setsuko and Kazuki came running to me and kneeled next to me. I coughed again and held up my hand. "I'm fine, really."

"Ritsu? You've been really distracted today. What's wrong? Did something happen?" Kazuki asked and I sighed. "No....it's nothing to worry about. I'm just gonna take a walk....you guys can continue training." I stood up, gave a half hearted smile and walked to the crop fields. I smiled and bowed as I passed by the villagers and I stopped in a place where I could see all the fields and no one was around to disturb my thoughts.

I took a deep breath and let it out through my mouth. I was really in a pinch now, wasn't I? The lives of all the people in this village was in my hands. If I didn't go to that demon, he was going to release his miasma and kill these people. He had gone so low as to threaten me with the lives of the people I loved....and the worst part was that he had licked my ear! Why on earth would someone do that?! Even now when I thought about it, I got goosebumps and I felt slightly embarrassed. I could still feel it and I shuddered while wrapping my arms around my body to push the awkward and disgusting feeling away.

"Ritsu?" I turned to the side to see Kazuki there. He was watching me with a look of hesitation and I managed a smile. "Kazuki, I there something you need?" I asked, putting my hands down and he came to stand next to me. "Not really. But I was a little worried about you. You're really distracted today and I've never seen you act this way before." He said and I laughed a little. I shook my head and looked forward again. "I already told you, I'm fine. Its nothing to worry about."

"Oh...." He said and we fell silent. But after a few seconds, he spoke again. "Ritsu? There's been something I've been meaning to tell you for a while now...." He wasn't looking at me and I tilted my head in confusion. "What is it, Kazuki?" I asked and he took a deep breath. He looked at me seriously and I felt oddly nervous at his unusually serious expression. "I love you."

I froze at the words that left his mouth but he continued to look into my eyes confidently. "I have loved you for almost a year now and I wish to marry you and start a family of my own." He touched my cheek with his hand and I stiffened, not knowing how to react to his sudden confession. "I don't expect an answer right now, but I want you to think about it. Its okay even if you want to remain as friends.....I will respect your feelings and your decision, but I hope that you will consider this seriously." He said and leaned forward to place a light kiss on my forehead.

He pulled away, smiled and walked away leaving me stiff, confused, guilty and absolutely bewildered.

I had always considered Setsuko and Kazuki as my brothers....a family that I had left back in Tokyo. But now that I think about it, it wasn't really surprising for him to have thought this way about me. After all, we weren't related by blood. Besides, I could say that I was closest to Kazuki, even more than I was with Setsuko. Well, Setsuko was two years younger to me and Kazuki was year older than me. So it was quite normal for him to develop feelings for me.

In fact, if it wasn't for that demon suddenly popping up, I think I might have ended up agreeing to Kazuki's confession. I probably would have accepted and settled down with him because I was sure that I wouldn't be able to go back to Tokyo anyway.

I sighed again. The guilt that was burdening me seemed to increase two fold and my chest tightened. But there was nothing I could do. I had to betray the village and Kazuki so that they wouldn't die. I had to serve a sadistic demon even though I hated it and even though I was a demon slayer.....

I stood lost in thought for quite some time. Soon, it was time for dinner and I headed back home. I smiled as I was welcomed by the maids and I headed to the dining hall. Kazuki, Setsuko, and the elders were already there and I sat down in my usual place opposite to Kazuki. I apologized for coming in late and we began to eat. After I was done, I excused myself saying that I was tired and I wanted to turn in early for the night. I couldn't help but give an apologetic look to Kazuki as I left but just like always, he gave me a warm understanding smile in return.