Chapter 1

AN: This is now after The Screaming Staircase, and basically all the same thing except Lucy's dad hasn't died. Also Lucy is still slightly closed off.

Lucy's POV
I woke up to the sun streaming through my window, directly onto my face. Lockwood has offered to get a curtain, but I liked being able to wake up naturally, instead of being yelled awake and if you weren't up, bad things would happen. Of course, I didn't tell George or Lockwood that.
     I didn't tell them anything about my past, or my scars. And yes, I had many scars. Why do you think I only ever wear sweaters and leggings? To cover the jagged marks that crisscross my body, making a map of all the pain and torment that I went through.
     George never asks about it, but Lockwood likes to prod. I know that it's just because I am his coworker and his friend, but even then it's nice to have someone looking out for you.
It's not that I don't trust them, because I do. With my life. But that's the problem. I don't want them to hunt down my parents, because that sounds like something that Lockwood would probably do. And honestly? I would feel bad for my parents, which is something that I never want to do.
     I thought about Lockwood a lot. Why did he catch me the way he did? From George it would have been a good slap in the face, but from Lockwood... It confused me, to say the least. But at the same time, I liked it.
AN: Sorry for the filler chapters, I promise that the plot will start sort of in the next chapter!