𝟶𝟿| 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐁𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬

"Sidney?" You called into the empty hallway as you were in search of your brunette friend.

With all the insensitive jokes being tossed around about your brother and Casey, you felt Sidney was the only mature enough person to talk to at the moment.

Besides, you couldn't discredit the fact that she also must've been having a hard time with her mother's anniversary coming up. You both shared similar experiences, only your wound was a bit fresher.

You sighed, glancing around the empty corridor before leaning against the bathroom door. You heard running water from a sink coming from the inside. Just as you were about to go in, the door was pushed open against your back.

"Oh!" Sidney exclaimed as she exited the bathroom. "Y/n, sorry," she looked almost relieved that it was you. "Were you waiting for me?"

"Actually, I didn't know you were in there. But, I mean, I was looking for you." You confessed, moving away from the door. "I hope you weren't too bothered by what they were saying out there. They're idiots, but I don't think they meant any harm."

"I know that," she said, her voice a little lighter than normal. "It's just... you know, the police and reporters and everything—"

"You get deja vu?" You asked, and she just sighed in response.

You placed a hand on her back in hopes of bringing her solace as she wrapped her arms around herself.

"It may sound crazy but I can't help but feel like this is somehow tethered to my mom."

"You're not crazy, Sid," You reassured while rubbing her back. "It makes sense why you would feel that way."

Sidney scoffed out a laugh as her arms fell to her sides. "Look at you comforting me when it should be the other way around. God, I feel horrible... you shouldn't have had to witness something like that, especially not your brother of all people."

"Y'know, it kinda feels like I'm on autopilot right now." You expressed, which left Sidney looking a little confused. "Like I can physically feel the sadness in my body, but my mind feels absolutely numb. I don't think I can cry now even if I wanted to."

Sidney's eyebrows shot above her brow-bone as she tried to fully comprehend what you meant.

"Wow, Y/n, that's..." She paused, looking for the right words. "Maybe you should've stayed home today."

Your face crinkled with laughter. "Yeah, maybe. But I just didn't want to be alone."

A calm silence fell over the hallway as Sidney glanced at her feet, pondering for a moment before looking up at you again.

"Hey, do you mind if I come over tonight?" She asked. "My dad just went out of town, and I don't really want to be alone either. Not with a killer on the loose."

"Yeah, of course—wait... how about we go to Tatum's instead and maybe order take-out?" You suggested, knowing Tatum would always be down for a slumber party even if there was a murderer running amok. "Plus, it'll be safer with Dewey there to watch out for us."

"That sounds perfect." Sid said, smiling. "Are you still staying after school for practice?"

Surprise painted your face as you had forgotten about cheer practice. There was no way you'd be up for it now, and coach would definitely give you a dead brother pass if you decided to skip.

"No, but I do have to pick up Steve's things from his locker before I leave..." You trailed off as you looked at the clock on the wall. The bell for next period was about to ring. "Though, I should probably go do that now before I forget."