𝟷𝟹| 𝐈 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐇𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮

After your first few classes were over, the bell had finally rang for lunch. Though you went straight to the bathroom to freshen up, planning to make your way down to the water fountain once you were done.

You studied your features in the mirror's reflection as you looked utterly exhausted. You hardly got any sleep last night after the killer had called. You should have known it wasn't Billy. The guilt was eating away at you for ignoring his pleas for you to believe him.

Now, the killer is still out there and Billy probably hates you. The two worst things imaginable.

You heaved a sigh as you took one final look at yourself before throwing your backpack over your shoulder and exiting the bathroom.

While on your way out, you bumped into someone passing by. "Shit! I'm sorry—" Your apology was cut short as you met with the eyes of Billy Loomis.

His hands were gripping your forearms, preventing you from losing your balance after knocking into him.

Your expression displayed shock as he suddenly pulled you into his tight embrace, wrapping one arm around your shoulders and the other around your waist. His entire body was tense, though as you slithered your arms around his back, you felt him relax.

"Billy, I'm sorry," you mumbled into his shoulder. "I wasn't sure how to react when I saw you at the station. I didn't know what to think, especially after what Sid told us. But you're my friend too, I should've believed you."

"Hey, it's alright," he shifted back. "I'm not angry with you."

You looked up at him with hopeful eyes. "You don't hate me?"

He shook his head, a small smile gracing his lips as he brushed the hair out of your face. "I could never hate you."

Observing his expression for undetected lies, you noted how exhausted he looked. "You're tired," you pointed out, sweeping your thumb over his dark circles.

"I hadn't slept." He said, fighting the urge to lean into your touch.

"I take it jail beds aren't too comfy?" You half-joked, taking a step back from the boy after registering the lack of personal space. "You should've stayed home to rest."

"My dad wouldn't have liked that," he admitted sourly. "He's pissed at me for getting arrested—for wasting his time."

Sadly, you weren't surprised to hear that. Hank Loomis was a businessman turned cold-hearted after his wife, Nancy Loomis, divorced him and skipped town a little over a year ago.

It was one of the reasons Billy spent so much time over at your place. To escape that bitter, cold house.

"Have you talked to Sidney, yet? I know she feels really bad for what happened." You voiced, feeling the need to bring her up.

"Yeah, I don't think she's too happy with me right now." He confessed, relieving a deep sigh. "I said some things I didn't mean."

"Like what?" You frowned.

"Nothing. It doesn't matter." He tried brushing it off, however, you still expected a semblance of an explanation. "Let's just say, Sid and I aren't gonna last much longer..."

"Don't say that. Your issues span from the killer situation. Once he's out of the picture, you guys should be fine—" You tried to reason, but he shook his head.

"Our relationship problems began way before last night. I've grasped the fact Sidney doesn't want me anymore... maybe you should, too." He revealed, his determined tone implying something deeper as he took a step closer to you.

You frantically glanced around the corridor for any lingering eyes. Your flushed face threatened to expose your true feelings as you looked back at him.

"Billy, don't." You held onto his shoulders to stop him from closing the distance between you. "Sidney's my friend."

You felt your back hit the wall as he paused to stare at you through feverish lenses. "Am I not your friend, too?"

"Yes, you are." You declared, eyes hardening on his form. You hated being so cold, but it was the only way he'd listen. "Which is why I'm leaving before you do something you'll regret."

You pushed him back—a motion he allowed as you beelined for the stairs. You were in desperate need for fresh air as the intensity of that conversation had begun to suffocate you.

The minute you exited through the front entrance of the school building, a figure jumped out in front of you, scaring the living daylights out of you.

"BOO!"

"Goddamnit, Stu!" You exclaimed, angrily punching him in the arm.

"Ow!" He rubbed the now sore spot. "Geez, you hit hard."

He was smiling until he noticed the frazzled look on your face. "Where are you running off to all in distress?" He asked as you descended the concrete steps.

"Nowhere in particular." You muttered as he began to follow you like a lost puppy.

"I need your attention now, kids." A voice on the intercom urgently spoke, one you recognized as Principal Himbry's. "Due to the recent events that have occurred, effective immediately, all classes are suspended until further notice."

Several students around campus cheered loudly. Most began collecting their things, preparing to leave as Mr. Himbry concluded the announcement, "The Woodsboro Police Department has issued a citywide curfew beginning at nine o'clock tonight."

"You hear that? I still have time to host my party before curfew." Stu grinned. You rolled your eyes at him, the corner of your lips quirking upwards.

From a distance, you spotted Tatum and Sidney emerging from one of the school's side exits. Before you could even take two good steps toward them, Stu swiftly caught your arm. "Where are you going?"

"To Tatum's." You pointed to the girls up ahead.

"Nope, you're coming with me." He declared, pulling you with him in the opposite direction.

Your brows furrowed as he dragged you across campus, multiple questions running around in your mind. "Where are you taking me?"

"The video store. Gonna pick up a couple of movies for tonight."

"I already told you during class that I'm not really in the partying mood. With the killer still out there, I think it'd be best if I hang back." You told him, tugging on his hand. "I don't feel safe without police supervision, and Dewey's the one providing that."

"You're totally protected." He said, pausing abruptly in front of you which you frowned at in confusion. You shrieked when he quickly bent down and tossed you over his shoulder. "Yo, I am so buff. I got you covered girl!"

"Stu!" You exclaimed, smacking his back as he continued walking. "Put me down, you cretin!"

"Cretin?" He asked, feigning hurt as he set you back on your feet.

"Are you serious about this?" You asked, your apprehension getting the better of you.

"Yeah, it'll be like last year's," he reassured. "Intimate gathering, intimate friends. We'll be fine."

You exhaled, caving once more. "Okay... fine."

"Really? Alright—" Stu cheered, however, you cut him off by jabbing your pointer finger at his chest. He glanced down at said finger, amused, before meeting your narrowed eyes again.

"But if the killer does show up, I'll be expecting you to intervene since you're so buff." You said, air-quoting his words. Stu laughed at that, tossing his arm back over your shoulder as the two of you proceeded to the video store.