Chapter 3. (Mia)

SATURDAY...
As Josh's car pulls up into his driveway, he says "We're here." I practically jump up and down in the passengers seat. Josh looks at me and chuckles."Someone's excited."I smile wide. "Yeah, I just really want to make sushi with your mom." He smiles at me. "Well, I can't wait either cause you're sushi is really good." "Really? Are you just saying that?"

"What? Of course not!" Josh says looking at me as if I'm crazy. "You're food is so divine darling." He says in an elegant voice, making me laugh. "You are such a weirdo." I tell him as I step out of the car, and he does the same."So are you! You're weirder than me!" We laugh. As we approach the door, it already starts to open revealing the excited looking face of Caroline, Josh's younger sister.

Her wavy dark hair with blonde highlights is down to her collarbone and her big, green eyes are behind a pair of round tortoise shell glasses. "Hey!" She shouts from the doorway, running towards me and giving me a big hug. Once the three of us make our way into the kitchen, we are greeted by Josh's older brother, Malachi. "Hey Mia." He says greeting me.

"Hi, I haven't seen you in a while!" "Yeah," he said embracing me. All of the sudden I hear two voices say "Mia!" I turn around and see Josh's parents. "How are you?" Mrs. Kendall says while squeezing me in a tight hug. "Pretty good actually, and I can't wait to make dinner with you!" She smiles wide and says "Me either!" Next Mr. Kendall gives me a big hug "Hey Mia, I've missed you!" He tells me.

Mr Kendall works long hours just every once in a while so sometimes when I'm here we don't get to see each other. We've become very close though, he still always makes time to see his favorite fake daughter, unlike my real father who barely even calls to ask how I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I still care about my parents, we may not be very close and they may never be home and yes, they missed my graduation, but I can't hate them, they're my parents. They still care about me, right?
• • • •
After laughing so hard the whole time that our stomachs hurt, chatting and having an awesome time making some really good sushi, Josh takes me home. He decides to stay and just hang out for a little while, so I force him to watch The Fault In Our Stars with me, but we both fall asleep.

Since my parents are away, the neighbor, Mrs Gonzales checks on me every once in a while. A little while after we fall asleep, she knocks on the door and it wakes me up. Startled, my eyes snap open and I find myself entangled in Joshes arms. He's awake too and he awkwardly gets up out of his position "Sorry I-" "It's okay" I cut him off with an awkward laugh. "Well I better get the door." I say, in an attempt to change the subject." I walk over and open the door for Mrs. Gonzales.

"Hey Mia, I just wanted to check and see if you were okay." She says through a yawn. "Yeah everything's just fine, thanks for checking." I tell her. "Of course," she says. "Well, I'll see you later, Mia." With that, I close the door and find that Josh has fallen back asleep on the couch. I walk over and pull on his arm. "Come on sleepy head, get uup. You have to get home soon or your parents will think you've died from suffering through too many chick flicks with me, or something" he laughs but remains on the couch as I try and pull him off. "Josh, I will carry you if I have too." I tell him laughing." He fakes snoring but then finally replies with a smile, "Okay fine." And he gets up.

Once he is at the door, I hug Josh goodbye and say "Bye best friend," dragging out the last word. He says bye back and I watch as he enters his car and drives away. As I see his car leave my driveway I think of how grateful I am for him. And then I think of how tired I am, so I make my way upstairs and pass out under the covers in my bedroom.