Chapter 1

1.

      I woke up in sweat. I could hear my own heart pounding loudly as I sat, trying to figure out where I was. I recognized a little stand-by lamp and realized that I’m in my room.

       I fell back to bed. It took me a while to calm down. Then I tried to remember what woke me up. Yes – it was a dream.  But not just a dream, or another nightmare. This one was so scary and realistic that it left me confused after waking up.

       I was standing in a dark room. There was some kind of mist that didn’t allow me to see anything else but one scene. I saw a mirror. It seemed very old-fashioned; the frame was decorated with numerous lines carved in wood. I could see a table in front of the mirror. Placed on it, there were four porcelain dolls. They were all different; different hair color, clothes… But they all had the same face expression. Their lifeless eyes were wide open, staring at me.

       I got disturbed and I looked away. By then I didn’t notice another little head in front of the mirror. It was a little girl. Suddenly she turned around, looking directly at me. While moving, she accidentally pushed all the dolls from the table.

       I couldn’t move. I felt like I was stuck in some kind of slow motion movie. First thing I noticed was her beautiful face. She had a dark brown hair and pale skin. Her small nose and mouth were surrounded by rounded cheeks. But the most breathtaking things on her face were her eyes. Though she was pretty far from me, I felt like I could see deeply into her eyes. They were black as night, but they had a golden shine.

       Then her look changed. She suddenly got scared, her mouth wide open. I heard something breaking and I looked in direction that the noise was coming from. The dolls were lying on the floor in pieces. Still, they had that stony expression on their faces. I looked at the girl to see her reaction. Her eyes were full of tears. Then I looked at the dolls again. That was the last thing I saw, their cold, broken faces.

       That’s when I woke up. This dream was very disturbing, but it wasn’t the only thing that got me so upset. It all felt like déjà vu. It was definitely a recurrent dream.

       I remembered that as a child, I had dreamed of the same exact thing. But back then, it only included the last scene – the broken dolls looking at me. I couldn’t explain why this affected me so much. It was still just a dream. So what if I dream about the same thing multiple times? It doesn’t mean anything.

       But, for some reason, I couldn’t get rid of that uneasy feeling. I stretched in my bed and turned around, trying to get comfortable. Something bothered me. I couldn’t get that dream out of my mind.

       I spent the rest of the night praying that I will fall asleep.