Prologue

Prologue~

I looked out the window, watching leafs fly past us. The wind sounded against the car as it pushed us, and causing my mother to drift this way and that. Thankfully this winter had been rather mild. I looked up at the cloudy sky and only saw grey above us. I went back to watching the trees sway, some looking like they might not hold against the wind much longer. Others looked like it was the calmest day. My mother took my hand in her's as she watched the road ahead of us. Her expression was bleak. 

"Are you okay?" she asked quietly. I glanced at her as I blinked away the small tears that I hadn't realized had formed. "He's not bad, you know? He's sweet and patient as long as order is kept. He helps the souls and he provides the world with precious metals." I contemplated how to respond.

"How long have you known who my father was?" I finally asked, but not before dropping my gaze.

"When he told me he loved me. He told me everything about him and what he could do. He thought I would hate him, but I didn't; I couldn't. And I still don't. He gave me you, now it's time you go find others like you at the camp. He said you will be safe there." Her voice weakened. She was practically choking out the words.

"What if I don't want to go?" I damned.

"You don't have a choice, Carter."