Chapter 1 ~The Secret's Out~

TW: Implications of abuse and child neglect, mentions of bruises and cuts

Kita's POV

Akagi and I have been friends since elementary school. I remember the day we met like it was yesterday. I was sitting in the sandbox wearing a baby blue cinnamoroll sweater when a dark-haired boy in a pink sweater with white sleeves comes up to me. He seemed scared, and I was caught off guard when he yelled.

"HI MY NAME IS AKAGI! I LIKE HELLO KITTY TOO CAN WE BE FRIENDS?"

'Someone...a GUY who likes Hello Kitty as much as I do?' Was my instant thought. I noticed the blue container he was gripping tightly to.

"Okay, sure!" I remember shooting a smile at him, and that's how our friendship began. Akagi was always happy. I never saw him sad. We shared mochi that he brought everyday and talked about Sanrio characters and any cute shoujo show that was airing on TV at the time.

Time past and we were first years in middle school. We still shared mochi outside everyday during lunch, but we grew a bit farther away from Hello Kitty. One day at lunchtime, he asked me a question that would change my life.

"Are you interested in sports, Kita?"

"Where's this coming from?"

"I was just wondering...I saw some neighborhood kids playing and I thought we could join a team together."

"Well, I've only played during P.E class and I don't have much experience."

"Since there's still extra time, wanna go check out the teams we can sign up for?"

"Sure."

We walked back into the school building and to a nearby bulletin board. After about 45 seconds of just staring at the papers Akagi's voice broke our silence.

"Maybe we should try volleyball?"

"I don't see why we shouldn't."

We filled out our club application forms and headed to the gym. We went to the captain and handed the pieces of paper to him.

"Looks good to me, you two are in. You guys can join tomorrow's practice." The captain's words seemed bland, but that didn't matter. I remember Akagi's bright smile as the captain's words reached the both of us.

Tomorrow arrived and we rushed to the Volleyball clubroom after the last bell rang.

"Actually...I can wait outside while you change." Akagi mutters.

"It something wrong?" I notice his eyes looking at the ground and his arms trembling.

"No,I just- I think I might be gay, and I'm scared." Akagi silently cries out.

"And that's something to be scared of? Whatever sexuality or gender you are, I don't care. As long as you're not a douchebag to other people it's fine."

"Kita- it's not that. It's...you."

"Huh?"

"It's about time but, I like you. Alot. I didn't want to lose you. You're the only friend I have and I don't want to ruin that."

"Have you ever considered dating someone else?"

"N-no. Not really."

"Akagi, I'm not the one for you. Find someone else. Someone better."

"Kita," Before I knew it, I was pinned against the wall and between Akagi's arms.
"YOU'RE THE ONE I WANT!" He screams with his eyes closed, but my eyes are widened. I glance at his arms and see dark bruises, red spots, and many other marks.